Ripleys Believe It Or Not!

gianniz

Hello everyone, I just like to share the unbelievable experience I had with a mate of mine yesterday.

Most of the raiders who went out yesterday morning (5am for us) would have noticed the extremely heavy fog. This fog reduced the visibility to 10-20metres max, yet I couldn't believe how fast other boats were travelling through zero visibility :(

Anyway getting back to Ripleys, :) well would you believe me if I told you I caught a 55cm yellowtail kingfish on on this!!

IMG_2231.jpg

Well let me elaborate, the fog cleared up around 8am, but not many quality fish (as we were sheltered in a spot out of danger). Though we stayed their till around 10am as all we can see is bunch of boats moving around constantly (we assume they are moving from spot to spot as theres no fish).

We moved to catch some yakkas and ended up with 1 and few small travellys.

It was around 11am when we decided to catch the reall yellow tail, so instead of heading out, we headed back towards the roseville and ended moaring maybe a 1km past the spit bridge.

We sent down a yakka and a travelly and the waiting game began. After 5minutes I got bored! lol I wanted to complain to my captain "why are we here in this Sh1thole when there are open water!!!!"

Anyway I got bored so I put a tiny bit of prawn (litterally half the size of my pinky fingernail) on the yakka hook to catch those pesky snappers (to pass time). 10minutes later no action and still bored as hell :(

Then all of a sudden my yakka rod buckled and it was peeling line like theres no tomorrow~!!! I was like did I catch a bottom? but we are moared!!! I picked up the rod and I knew it was something big. I am yelling at my captain to bring up the other lines but he didn't! :P so I yelled again which made him do it :)

My captain thought I had no chance! Kingy on a yakka tackle? Not a chance. Little did he realise that I was prepaired for something like this, so my yakka tackle isn't not the common 5pound lines :)

I use 30pound braid and 20pound mono and I do my knots and vigorously check to make sure the knot won't fail. (Those who fished off cliftons garden will understand why I use such tackle).

Halfway through I realised... hmm lines all good but what about the hook! surely that little hook can't be strong enough or big enough to hook the kingfish properly! Few minutes past, and the drag singing started to quiet down a bit and finally I landed my first NON legal kingy :(

200812271105_00067.jpg

A yakka hook with a tiny bit of prawn got the 55cm kingy instead of two other rods with a live bait.

200812271105_00066.jpg

My captain with my fish, thanks Sam for an awesome day out.

ps I think I need to go get the 30million dollar lotto :) what do you think

pps Late merry christmas and happy new year fellow raiders.

my son and I were fishing a channel marker for leatherjacket one day when a couple of kings shot out to harrass a small trevally that he caught, for about the next 1/2 hour we threw squid, soft plastics, hard bodies and even poppers at them for no luck when I finally said - mate forget it, put the heavy gear away and just fish for jackets again, guess what happened - no sooner had the light gear come out and a kingie nailed it! the fish luckily swam away from the post and to my sons credit he managed to land it, only 55cm but top fun on 6lb line!