Nooo...not Another Rat Slaying

Jigholio

On the harbour yesterday for NYE fireworks with the nearest & dearest, but not before working the eastern shoreline kelp for some juicy calamari, the plan was to serve em up as an entree but of course I left the soy/wasabi/mirin at home :( We had 4 in the tank when i hear the words "are we going to use these as bait??"

Amen sister...

Anchored up at spot fireworX and commenced a stream of mackerel puree, wasn't long before my GF is on a kingy that chased a squid head on the retrieve. Seconds earlier she had recalled a large blue fish with stripes chasing the squid. It miraculously changed to green with a yellow tail as it was netted & released. :whistling:

Pulled in a few U/S squire on floaters then around 7:15 the GF is on, a nice bend in the nitro suggests some weight and a glistening school jew is netted. Sweeeeeet :thumbup:

Two little 5" squid turned up trying to eat a strip bait the same size. Nailed them with a small jig & deployed as livies after a quick re-rig with gama SL12s. Within 20 mins i get hammered yet the hook parts after 5 seconds :ranting2: This was a much bigger fish & I stupidly hadn't adjusted the drag down after pulling kingis with this rig :ranting2: seeriously pisssed with myself. :ranting2:

Drop a whole squid & as the words were leaving my mouth "man I don't believe I screwed that up" rod doubles over, Big tail beats & good weight. Get some line back, nod,nod,nod up the line....of all days this is the ONE I took the gaff out of the boat. Anyway got it landed, real happy.

There was some bang & flash stuff going off somewhere in the background too?

Top way to finish 2008/start 2009

Happy New Year everybody.

post-6106-1230782220_thumb.jpg

post-6106-1230781412_thumb.jpg

post-6106-1230781468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jigholio

Thanks for your comments fellas. Well spotted Copa I forgot to mention the 3rd fish & the octopus...

I was getting bored with sub-legal kings by the dozen so decided to try something different. Hey it worked!

The two littlies went 65cm/3kg each & the bad boy was right on a metre & 10kg. It's amazing how much thicker around the shoulder they get with only a little extra growth. PS leatherjacket I was WELL east of the bridge in the lower harbour. Lots of pulped fresh mackerel i caught earlier for berley & BIG squid baits on a 10/0 gamakatsu SL12S did the trick. Use your sounder & fish around slack water, tight line & strike drag they hook themselves cleanly if the hook is big, recurved & sharp.

I have a new obsession :blink:

Happy Jew Year!

Jig

Good work on the jewfish Jigholio :thumbup: Nice report too and I reckon there will be a change to your target fish next time and you can always go back to your kingfish when you get tired of arm wrestling jewfish :biggrin2:

Happy New Year mate.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: