Tips Re Windemere Dam

silverbike

hi and happy new year to all,

we will be going camping for a few days next week and one of the places to be visited is Windermere Dam near Mudgee.

Does anyone have any tips re good spots, bait etc. We will be land based.

I'd like my Other Half to at least get a decent bite. Have never been able to convince him that Fishing is Fun :biggrin2:

watch out for the King browns they will chase you.

The dam system has changed a lot as a massive amount of water has been released now. the Rylstone end past the boat ramp can provide a few decent catches a couple of the bays there can see some silver perch hitting your lines. If you have the opportunity to use a boat/canoe then take it as you will improve your chances.

otherwise down towards the mudgee & wall end should see you pull a few big Yellow Belly's. Limestone Creek area & near the overflow site closer to the wall are always good hunting, my preference was for yellow & black (tiger stripe) "FISHSTICK" lures with red & black pattern as a back up.

If you are going to camp a few days, then can I suggest a trip to the butcher. Grab a decent shank with some meat on it, wade out to a tree in a likely looking spot & hang it up.... The flies will take care of the rest & plently of berly will be provided to attract the fish over a couple of days. .......Oh & of course please clean up the berly site when your finished.

My other suggestion would be to to tackle the brown & rainbow trout in the Cudgegong river, there are some beautiful fish in there including my PB 6lb Rainbow - well hopefully he is still there.

Good luck

Jas

Sorry should have added, if you are buying bait (live worms from the servo's there) have a look before you buy as they are pretty lean little worms. grab a bunch of good sized worms from your garden before you go, they should make the trip.

For trout a tiny bit of aniseed oil just touched on the blade of a selter spinning lure can do wonders for your catch rate. just remember that the Cudgegong is now a proclaimed trout river & as such is protected as a catch & release river during some breeding months.

I wouldn't be surprised if these Windemeer yellowbelly are mostly all yellowbelly black snakes. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Good call Jewgaffer... I will pay that one :beersmile: .

There are some big fish in that dam though. What I would give to be in a boat near the dam wall ... pity it is against the law as I am sure there would be monster size yellows & Cod there.

Alas we can dream but I still have to track down a monster Jew first....

thanks guys,

will see how we go, more just a get-away-for-a-bit than a real fishing trip.

and a tip re worms.

if you want decent sized ones, go to a good pet shop and see if you can get Superworms from them, they're sold as a live reptile food.

cheers

..........if you want decent sized ones, go to a good pet shop and see if you can get Superworms from them, they're sold as a live reptile food.

cheers

Reptile food. :wacko::Funny-Post: One minute they're talking about good fishing and then giving warnings about Windemeer's Tiger Snakes, King Browns, ordinary Browns, Yellowbelly Black Snakes. By the sounds of all that it would definately pay to fish on stilts on the other side of the dam right away from your superworm bucket or any other bucket for that matter and if you have to be anywhere near the place at night, peg out your tent in the centre of the furtherest expressway.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: