P.b. @ Thames Street Wharf

jamesds

Got to Thames Street Wharf at low tide around 6am this morning. My plan was to come away with a couple of fantail leatherjackets for a feed (and to get my own back after stealing all my bait while targeting other fish).

Used a long shank hook with a small piece of peeled prawn on a lightly weighted line and stuck it over the side and let it sink. Immediate hookup! One bream (undersize), then a tailor (undersize), then a whiting (undersize), then another bream (undersize)..... OK so the fish are firing but give me a decent one already! It was beginning to feel like I'd stumbled onto a Japanese Bonsai fishery....

Anyway the fish go off the bite for a while so I have a flick of the S.Ps for nothing, but by this time high tide was only an hour or two away.

Then....

I decided to cast out a line with a pilchard tail on it , and I went back to trying for leatherjackets with prawn and longshank hook. Zzzzztttt!!! Something of decent size had taken the prawn, the rod U-bends, I adjust the drag and slowly manage to surface a beautiful 32cm bream! Before it goes in the bucket I hear a zzzzzzztttttt from the other line..... turns out to be a nice 55cm flathead. In the bucket it goes :)

Score for the day:

Bream 3 (2 undersize)

Flathead 1

Tailor 2 (undersize)

Whiting 1 (undersize)

Leatherjacket 2 (undersize)

A lot of undersize fish there, but my P.B. in terms of quantity caught in a single session.

Sorry, no photos - memory card is full and can't find the USB cable anywhere......

Got to Thames Street Wharf at low tide around 6am this morning. My plan was to come away with a couple of fantail leatherjackets for a feed (and to get my own back after stealing all my bait while targeting other fish).

Used a long shank hook with a small piece of peeled prawn on a lightly weighted line and stuck it over the side and let it sink. Immediate hookup! One bream (undersize), then a tailor (undersize), then a whiting (undersize), then another bream (undersize)..... OK so the fish are firing but give me a decent one already! It was beginning to feel like I'd stumbled onto a Japanese Bonsai fishery....

Anyway the fish go off the bite for a while so I have a flick of the S.Ps for nothing, but by this time high tide was only an hour or two away.

Then....

I decided to cast out a line with a pilchard tail on it , and I went back to trying for leatherjackets with prawn and longshank hook. Zzzzztttt!!! Something of decent size had taken the prawn, the rod U-bends, I adjust the drag and slowly manage to surface a beautiful 32cm bream! Before it goes in the bucket I hear a zzzzzzztttttt from the other line..... turns out to be a nice 55cm flathead. In the bucket it goes :)

Score for the day:

Bream 3 (2 undersize)

Flathead 1

Tailor 2 (undersize)

Whiting 1 (undersize)

Leatherjacket 2 (undersize)

A lot of undersize fish there, but my P.B. in terms of quantity caught in a single session.

Sorry, no photos - memory card is full and can't find the USB cable anywhere......

well done james a good catch any pb is a good one its a good idea to keep in mind when the fish come on the bite in your spot x as to how many hours before and after the tide and you'll have many more pb's

Thanks Warren,

Nearly all of the undersize fish were taken inside the 90 minutes after low tide. The bream and the flathead were taken at high tide, around 3 to 4 hours after the other fish.

I stayed around for a while longer as I saw some big fish swimming around (large tailor maybe) but couldn't catch any.

well done james a good catch any pb is a good one its a good idea to keep in mind when the fish come on the bite in your spot x as to how many hours before and after the tide and you'll have many more pb's

I saw some big fish swimming around (large tailor maybe) but couldn't catch any.

Well done on a couple of nice fish mate.

Sounds like the mullet are starting to school.

Well worth throwing out a live bait there around the tide changes. Fish them into the ferry channel for Jew, big tailor & flatties. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

I'll give that a shot next time I'm there, assuming I can catch some livies. Might also stand a chance of catching a kingfish too - i've seen them around there.

Well done on a couple of nice fish mate.

Well worth throwing out a live bait there around the tide changes. Fish them into the ferry channel for Jew, big tailor & flatties. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Jewhunter,

Checked my fish identification book and I was definitely wrong about those 'big fish' being tailor. The fish I saw definitely did not have a V-shaped tail. It was flat, and the fish were very, very plump. They were about 2 meters deep in clear water but there was quite a bit of glare. I would estimate that they were about 60-70cm long. I could make out the shape but not really tell you much about the colour (being colourblind doesn't help either).

Edited by jamesds

Ah, yes that is true. But they were little buggers - I didn't mean undersize in the legal sense. I would have kept a fantail, but these were the dinky little stripy ones.

Well done on the catch mate, just thought I'd point out that there's no size limit on leatherjacket, only a bag limit of 20.