A River Somewhere On The Mid North Coast

arpie

Hi all

I got a bit annoyed with all the tourists tearing around on Wallis Lake, disturbing the fish and trying to knock me out of my yak, <_< so I headed inland for a Tiki Tour, looking for a river somewhere to see if I could find a bass!

After many dead ends, lots of dusty roads & a distinct feeling of 'what if I break down here & the phone doesn't work & there's a mad axe murderer out there around the next corner and I don't know if I will ever hit a sealed road again or just disappear into the valley ......' :huh: 100kms & nearly 3hrs later, I chucked a Uie & headed back to the sealed road! I still hadn't found any fishable water! I have discovered tho, that roads that appear on Google Maps may well be goat tracks (or worse, on private property !)

Eventually I went down another dirt road & found some nice looking water & launched the yak. I had brought my bass spinners with me & some hbs, so started chucking a spinner bait at every log that was sticking out of the water!

3rd cast & I'm on!! :thumbup: I don't know who was more surprised - the fish or me!! This was the first decent sized wild river bass that I had ever caught & on relatively light line, I was hoping it wouldn't bust me off in the snag!

30cm wild river bass

post-2231-1230937931_thumb.jpg

I think this is my best ever wild river bass!! I hooked a small one on the Manning last year, but he was only marginally bigger than the lure I hooked him with! Not a monster, but at 30cm, still gave a good fight.

THis bodes well for a great paddle down the river, methinks ..... little did I know that it would be the only fish to be caught that day! :wacko: I varied my lures between the spinners, a popper & a pencil, trying to lure them out of the shadows, but they wouldn't play the game. The sun slowly moved to the other side of the river & put shadows on areas I hadn't cast to previously, so gave that a go to no avail! Suddenly, I saw a bloop, then another bloop & tossed the popper in the general area & YAHOO! I'm on again ..... for about 4 seconds! :mad3:

I retreated back up as far as I could (till the weeds & too many snags stopped me) and came back down, yet again! Very little flow in the river - I just ambled down, occasionally using the pedals. I cast to snags, under tree branches, caught a few trees & lost on popper to very high tree (the wind must have caught that one! Very annoyed about that, actually as it was one of my favoured bream poppers & the last one I had )

By now, my mind was wandering & I was getting more interested in what was on the side of the river instead of what was in it!

Some pretty prehistoric looking trees tho!

post-2231-1230938016_thumb.jpg

Every submerged tree had a water dragon on it - hundreds of them

post-2231-1230938051_thumb.jpg

All up, an enchanting day on the river & I must return one day to fish it at dusk!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Now THAT is a magic report, accompanied by some beaut photos :thumbup: No doubt about you Roberta; you get to enjoy some amazing scenery, meet some interesting wildlife, and land some terrific fish.

Congratulations on your PB wild bass. It sounds like the 'terrorists' have done you a favor, as you have discovered a tranquil place to while away the hours, away from the hustle and bustle of the lake. :thumbup: Looking forward to more reports of wild bass!

Cheers

Hodgey

Well done Roberta I like the sound of "a river somewhere" That's very poetic and very catchy and it's much more sharing than secret spot x as you've given it away to our hang glider fishermen by the photos of the trees and the little water hole :1yikes::yahoo::D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

.....as you've given it away to our hang glider fishermen by the photos of the trees and the little water hole .... don't forget to mention the bling in the tree! :) I'll need that hang glider to remove it for me! :1prop:

It really was amazing, all the more so because I had it entirely to myself (apart from the cows that were on the river's edge.) It was almost 'spooky'!

hehehe guess what I was watching earlier this morning?? My buddy, Kim, from Canberra (I went trout fishing with her at Jindy before Xmas) had loaned me the double Video set "A River Somewhere''!! Thought .... that's a good title for Spot X!! :biggrin2:

Hodgey - it really was theraputic after putting up with all the madness in & about town. You'll know what I mean! Can't wait to go south (your way) & give some of those rivers another go too! :)

Hmmmm I am assuming it is a bass & not an ep?? Is it the tail that is different as well as the shape of the head? I haven't caught enough of either to be sure of it!

Cheerio

Roberta

Wet up here today

Edited by Roberta

Thats some awesome fishing Roberta, what a way to beat the crowds :thumbup:

You didn't visit the glauchester region by any chance? I spent my christmas there as well as the barrington tops, and didn't pack my rods..... i suffered every day looking at crystal creeks and rocky streams! Hahah

No Bobfish - it wasn't that far! Tho it is on my list to visit too! I reckon after all the rain we had, the rivers over there should be fishing well. Haven't been over there for a few years now & even then I didn't catch anything anyway! :(

I keep meaning to get out & about more here, discovering new bits (to me, anyhow! :) ) I'd love to get a wild river bass over 40cm - but would have to upgrade my 4lb braid considerably!! I had to keep cutting a few metres off, as it got scuffed, from repeated casting!

Cheerio

Roberta

.....I must return one day to fish it at dusk...... just hope I can find it again!

Edited by Roberta

I guess thats the beauty of this sport, there is always "a river somewhere" unexplored :thumbup:

"Hmmmm I am assuming it is a bass & not an ep??" Looks like a nice bass to me Roberta. I've never noticed the tail being different, just the eyes, coloring and head.

Hey Jewgaffer, yes, it was very out of character. I resisted the urge for nets and such, although I did don my favorite backyard cricket hat and my loud drinking shirt instead. :074:

Edited by bobfish

.....didn't pack my rods..... i suffered every day looking at crystal creeks and rocky streams! Hahah

That's unusual for you Bob not taking any rods up there. I suppose you were dressed like a grid iron player with the bee gear on and sporting butterfly nets. :lol:

Roberta I think you better take Wendy and a couple of savage Dobermans out there next time. I don't know much about axemen's habits in these spooky places you mention but Shirl can't fish in the wild these days, she keeps on seeing hunch backs and white haired hermits poking their heads around trees and laughing at her especially around sundown :1yikes: . It hasn't rubbed off on me just yet fortunately. :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: