Mercruiser Alpha 1 135hp

Carpe

Hi,

I recently purchased a Quintrex Freedom Cruiser 560 with the sterndrive Alpha 1.

On the test run the demo was a bit rough and blowing smoke.

I was told that this was due to new motor that had to be run in before retuning.

This sounded reasonable at the time.

My new boat finally arrived and it too was difficult to start, run extremely rough and cut out when idling.

This stern drive is a pig to start. :1badmood:

I've been spoiled by by my previous boat which has an ETEC - 3 years of quiet smooth running, started 1st time every time with just a turn of the key.

I ran it for the required 20 hours to first service and mentioned the rough idle to the service dept.

When I ran it after the first service there was no change in idle performance.

It is rough, I mean it is like the boat is going to shake apart. I have to increase the revs with the throttle over ride button to get it to idle.

I called the service dept back and was then told that I need to run it on premium fuel !

The manual says 90 RON is the minimum required, & 98 RON is "also acceptable."

As I had 3/4 of a tank at the time I have not yet emptied it to see the difference.

Are they telling porkies or is this a true fact ?

Anyone have experience with this engine ?

Thanks,

Regards,

Carpe

Hi Carpe,

I have the same rig but is early days yet as I only have about 15 hours up so far. The first service will happen next week.The dealer told me to use only premium unleaded and so far absolutely no issues starting the engine. It runs smooth, no smoke, no fumes , but I do notice that it when you go to start the motor it does not crank all that fast and I am assuming that is normal for this motor.

I will look at the replies to your thread with interest..

Ruddy

Hi,

I recently purchased a Quintrex Freedom Cruiser 560 with the sterndrive Alpha 1.

On the test run the demo was a bit rough and blowing smoke.

I was told that this was due to new motor that had to be run in before retuning.

This sounded reasonable at the time.

My new boat finally arrived and it too was difficult to start, run extremely rough and cut out when idling.

This stern drive is a pig to start. :1badmood:

I've been spoiled by by my previous boat which has an ETEC - 3 years of quiet smooth running, started 1st time every time with just a turn of the key.

I ran it for the required 20 hours to first service and mentioned the rough idle to the service dept.

When I ran it after the first service there was no change in idle performance.

It is rough, I mean it is like the boat is going to shake apart. I have to increase the revs with the throttle over ride button to get it to idle.

I called the service dept back and was then told that I need to run it on premium fuel !

The manual says 90 RON is the minimum required, & 98 RON is "also acceptable."

As I had 3/4 of a tank at the time I have not yet emptied it to see the difference.

Are they telling porkies or is this a true fact ?

Anyone have experience with this engine ?

Thanks,

Regards,

Carpe

Hi Carpe, not good to hear and maybe find someone else because it does not need premium fuel and it should run and start fine without any smoke. I would take it back to them and say you want it running right and you will water test with them after they have done it to make sure-I imagine you paid a fair price for it and really it sounds like the engine was never pre-delivered correctly. If they know what they are doing not much to these 3.0L Mercruiser with single carbies and they have remained unchanged for years.

Cheers,

Huey.