First Drummer - Botany Bay

woodch0p

Went Fishing today at Botany Bay off the rocks, caught my first Drummer at 30cm (legal size, you beauty!). Also caught one undersized drummer 28cm and a rock cod 20cm, plus some tiddlers, not worth mentioning. The drummer at first appearance looked like a black drummer (colour), but had more of a body shape of a silver drummer(round), local fish store guru told me on occasions they can crossbreed.

The Drummer caught on Bread mixed with Nori (dried seeweed) and tuna oil. The other stuff caught on just bread and tuna oil. Got the idea of using nori as I use to feed this to my tangs in my aquarium.

Caught on Browning BJ Hunter 10'6" Blackfish rod with Browning TF1030 reel, put up a good fight, rod handled beautifully (first catch on rod+reel combo also).

After about an hour the tourists moved in on my spot after seeing my catch, casting lines left right and centre, one even started fishing right next to me, close enough he may aswell sat on my lap :ranting2: ... I got out of there before it turned ugly.

Overall a good little fish.

Crossbreed?

They are two different species. Totally unrelated species.

The black drummer is not even a drummer, and should be preferably referred to as a Rock Blackfish.

It is a cousin of the Luderick, or Blackfish.

So essentially crossbreeding between a silver and black drummer is like crossbreeding a common cat and a lion. Not likely!

EDIT:

Also, Black drummer are generally considered good eating if cleaned soon after death, and the skin removed before cooking. Silver drummer are rarely eaten.

However, as with any fish in the ocean, somebody might know a way of preparation which may make it delicious?

Edited by ant180