Wahhhhoooooo !

mr magoo

howdy folks ,i went to see a mate in qld for a week and he organized a trip out with a mate of his ,so it was a nice surprise to go for a fish ,so we went to a reef called barwon bank 20 odd miles offshore from colaundra

and we bottom bounced for reds and pearlies, while having a bottom bait out a nice bull dolpin fish turned up and checked us out,we got 3 reds on that first spot we anchored on ,we moved quite a few times and the skipper who has a pro license absalutley amazed me by spotting fish on the sounder and then precisly anchoring over them in 75 to 90 metres of water ,every time ,second time we anchored a pair of dolpin fish in the 1o to 12kg range came over to the boat,with no livies on board and with them refusing floaters ,a bit frustating,so when the bottom went quiet skipper suggested to use his barra outfit in the cabin and troll while he sounds around looking for fish schooled up,as there was a nice current line running right through the middle of the reef so my hopes were hi,we hadnt travelled a hundred metres when the little calcutta 400 started squealing ,and after a good tussle on the little gear a wahoo of 18.3kg was pinned in the head,i was stoked as it is a new species for me,theve got some speed to them i can tell you,and they know how to back track too ,at one stage the fish charged the coat leaving me a heap of slack ,i wound like hell hoping the hooks wouldnt fall out

anyway here it is

post-5893-1231072398_thumb.jpg

post-5893-1231072424_thumb.jpg

this reef system impressed me ,it comes up to 30 metres,on that day there were stripies herding bait around it ,current line through it ,spotted a shark cruzing ,the dollies ,what i would of done for a my tiagra 50 and a live stripie because there would of have to been a beak or two about

the bottom had rises and falls of 8 to ten meters every time you looked at the sounder you couldnt believe your eyes,bommies everywhere

who knows maybe mr magoo will be going for a road trip packed with the tiagras,s and a couple of jig sticks

cheers arman

Top fish Arm's

However, missed our new years get together ? :1prop::beersmile:

yeh but my heads better for it ,no more zambuca paul

and mike caloundra is a beautiful place ,but it was a tad hot for me ,i reckon i ll go earlier or later in the year next time,and everyone is so laid back ,would be a nice place to live thats for sure

cheers arman

Well done Mr Magoo. They are a top eating fish Arman :thumbup: Those Wahoo go faster than a scalded cat when they realise they've been dudded by a hook. It's a shame they are not an estuary fish. I don't think an old Georges River blackfisherman would survive to tell the story if he got hit by wahoo. :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

yeh but my heads better for it ,no more zambuca paul

and mike caloundra is a beautiful place ,but it was a tad hot for me ,i reckon i ll go earlier or later in the year next time,and everyone is so laid back ,would be a nice place to live thats for sure

cheers arman

Dont worry mate,

NOWRA is approaching soon, so we can just make that our substitute for the year ! :beersmile::thumbup::yahoo: