Harbour 6/1/09

Josh88

Well left Roseville about 515 today in the hope of getting some kingfish as usual. Things were looking good, i hadn't forgot anything and my brother wasn't coming out who seems to be a bad kingfish omen so we were hoping for a good day. Saw some fish around the spit on the way out but looked like tailor so kept on moving after a couple of casts. Trolled through the 8knot zone for no fish so moved to one of my favourite squid spots, stayed for 20min without even a follow, saw one small one caught from 1 of the 5 other boats there, then was about to go to my most successful squid spot when some kings start splashing in front of our bow, they looked like decent fish but only stayed up for a minute or so and we only got 2 shots in with a popper for no interest. Then trolled around and got into a monumental tangle :ranting2: was untangling this and i see GregL in his very nice contender cruise past about to get some livies i think??

Then moved to my fav squid spot for lots of seaweed but not squid. Then decided to go drop some squid and prawn baits for nothing much, couple of nudges but nothing serious. Then saw what i'd been hoping for, a crapload of birds going mental. Anchor up and raced over there, rat kings everywhere, we proceeded to follow these fish and had them all to ourselves for nearly 4 hours. In this whole time we only managed to land 1 FISH :mad3: a measly 60cm as well. We must of tried over 20 different lures from a range of SPs to sluggos, minnows, poppers, blades you name it and we had a couple of hits, both on shortened sluggos with some s-factor trigger on it but they were near impossible to hook or tempt. They were coming up next to the boat waving their tails at us cruising around, it didn't evenly look like they were feeding at some stages they were moving that slowly and leisurely.

As the day went on my inexperienced mate hooked a couple but lost them when he really should of got them in, he thought he could fight it sitting down and of course it takes him straight under the boat and ping :thumbdown: the other time he could get the lift and wind going properly and somehow gave it a heap of slack and it was gone.

I managed to get a few takes but had my line snap 3 times :ranting2::mad3: happened at knots twice and in the line once, this was only just after the hook up. It was only 6lb braid but a very good quality braid and they were only rats, the drag was going off but the line still snapped :wacko: .

Eventually we found the secret formula, unweighted bits of fresh prawn, even then the fish were pathetic and tentative not even looking at anything you literally put on top of their nose but the prawns were getting nibbled and then swallowed every now and then, we both lost a couple with this, again with the line breakage i mentioned earlier so i went up to 20lb braid and managed to hook 1 and gave it to my mate as he hasn't caught many fish let alone a kingfish. I reckon we would of got a few more had we stayed out there but left them somewhat biting having to drop my mate back.

I tried to get some good photos of the kings in action but this was all i could get on my phone, it was so much more than this!

post-6719-1231247443_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Good effort Josh. I will be cursing and yapping all the way but thats fishing. We go out there to get away and have some fun. As for your mate, next time you take him out he`ll know what to do.

Hey Josh

Yeah went out just inside north head to try get some slimeys to drop down for kings. Followed out Al Mcglashen to longy for bugger all but then found them on the surface taking poppers half way back. Just rats but they were eating.....

Later on the way back from the fish markets from lunch heading over to Clontarf for a swim, we found another pod out the front of Darling Point but sounded as fussy as your ones.

With line break, drop the drag off a little. The inital hit of a pelegic can pop light lines if the drags aren't super smooth right from the start. You can then tighten it up again once you get past the hit and first run. I lost a saltiga popper from the same thing.

Greg

Hey Josh

Yeah went out just inside north head to try get some slimeys to drop down for kings. Followed out Al Mcglashen to longy for bugger all but then found them on the surface taking poppers half way back. Just rats but they were eating.....

Later on the way back from the fish markets from lunch heading over to Clontarf for a swim, we found another pod out the front of Darling Point but sounded as fussy as your ones.

With line break, drop the drag off a little. The inital hit of a pelegic can pop light lines if the drags aren't super smooth right from the start. You can then tighten it up again once you get past the hit and first run. I lost a saltiga popper from the same thing.

Greg

It seemed to be that initial hit on a couple of occasions but the drag really wasn't that tight and the reel is a new shimano sustain :wacko: i haven't fished 6lb for a long time and i probably was putting a bit too much pressure on it.

We were floating along in our 17ft white centre console in the middle of that water between middle head and quarantine on your left as you went past.

Cheers

Josh

Sounds like a good but frustrating day Josh. You must have been buggered by the time you finished up... chasing visible fish always has the adrenalin pumping and afterwards it's like some sort of nasty hangover.

Cheers, Slinky

We were all excited rushing about for the first hour but after that it was just like why are we even trying, i decided not to have a sleep in the afternoon but go to the cricket nets with mates instead then had to babysit and didn't go to sleep til 1 which now does feel like a nasty hangover

If you look at the bottom of the picture about a third of the way from the left there is a kingfish smiling to have his pic taken

Edited by Josh88

........If you look at the bottom of the picture about a third of the way from the left there is a kingfish smiling to have his pic taken

Good observation Josh. Is that the browner coloured one that looks like this > :biggrin2:

Cheers :D

jewgaffer :1fishing1: