Narooma

atouma

:1fishing1:

went down south narooma

very disaapointing - fished monatgue island

wednesday 7th jan - nothing

coaught few undersize snapper, four 50-59 cm kingies - all throw backs

swell was high - better luck next time

My father in law (now past away) gave a report from Montague Island from the late thirties.

Rowed out in a long timber boat that had four oars and filled the boat with snapper almost to the gunnels then rowed back.

Maybe thats why there arent many there now.

Dave

My father in law (now past away) gave a report from Montague Island from the late thirties.

Rowed out in a long timber boat that had four oars and filled the boat with snapper almost to the gunnels then rowed back.

Maybe thats why there arent many there now.

Dave

i'd give both my legs to go back to those sweet days of fishing.. my grandpa keeps raving on about how they used to catch bucketloads of fish whereever they went

I also have stories from older family members who use to fish Montague back in the 50's & 60's. They beach launched a 12ft wooden boat with a six horse power out board. Headed straight for the island and handline fished for 20kg snapper. They would'nt return until the boat was almost taking on water due to the extra wait of all the fish. They use to complain about the pesky Kingfish that were soo thick some times that they could'nt get their Snapper baits to the bottom because these 25kg Kingies would keep stealing their bait. They would sometimes cut their lines once these kings were hooked because they were too much "hassle" on their 80 pound handlines!

How times have changed.....

Edited by Bluewater