Etec & 27 Mhz Not Compatible ?

kinghightide

For christmas i received a new 27 Mhz radio which i was going to install today though, i have read a fair few reviews that there is nothing but static with 27 Mhz radios and once they installed a VHF there is clear transmission and reception?!

Have any etec owner's come across this problem with 27 Mhz ?

For christmas i received a new 27 Mhz radio which i was going to install today though, i have read a fair few reviews that there is nothing but static with 27 Mhz radios and once they installed a VHF there is clear transmission and reception?!

Have any etec owner's come across this problem with 27 Mhz ?

Yes it is true that 27 meg doesnt work with Etecs ,even with all the supression in the world.

Cheers Stewy

I had a new 60HP installed a few months ago. I had the same problem, really bad static. I rewired the radio so it had its own power feed from the battery, which did seem to help. Before i did this, full squelch did nothing. Now, if I turn the squelch dial half way, it did cancel out the static, and I could use my 27 meg radio again. Not saying this is a guaranteed fix for every boat, but in my case it did work. I emailed BRP about this, and I had a real good reply to why this happens:-

Gday Glenn

Unfortunately, in Australia, we seem to suffer a lot more with radio interference.

There are some things that you can try which possibly can help to limit the amount of interference with your radio but they don't work on every application.

A few things which we have tried are:

1. Moving the aerial to a different position

2. Running the 12 volt wires in a different location.

3. Putting a 12 volt suppressor on the 12 volt system

The reason why the radios are affected, is because we still run a 27meg signal and the engines are measured at 30meg as a baseline when testing is done for RFI. The rest of the world uses a 30meg signal or VHF and so the engines do not interfere with the radio signal.

You will probably notice that when the engine is switched off there is no interference at all with your radio?

Unfortunately there is no real fix for this issue at the moment. You will find that in a few years that the 27meg radio will be phased out and the VHF will be the standard that everyone will be using in all there boats.

Kind Regards,

Arpi Szoboszlay

Technical Support Representative

56 Canterbury Rd

Bankstown NSW 2200

Ph: (02) 97946681

Fax: (02) 9794 6696

Mob: 0447 473 504

Email: arpi.szoboszlay@brp.com

i also run a 60hp etec with a 27 mhz radio.

Unlike others i never had a problem

I have an electrical background and with my knowledge have always run thicker cables than normal and independent feeds to all 12 volt radio and sterio setups.

Hope this helps.

PS. make sure you have a GOOD earth.

Hi Mate, I have heard of reports of this and has been discussed before many times. The only one of our about 400 E-TEC customers who has told me about it is Glenn and with the tricks he did as he mentioned it has improved. As Arpi from BRP told Glenn in his email, make sure you do not mix aerial, have a dedicated battery source and run the wires and aerials as far away fromt he otuboard harness as possible. The Navman range of 27 meg also seem to give more issues than other brands, and really 27 meg is OK, but we are fitting many more boats with VHF becasue basically it works offshore and in most cases 27 meg does not. A bit like the Epirb situation at the moment. the old analog signal was OK, but the new digital 406 is much better.

Since you have fit it and see what happens, but take some time to do what is suggested in this posts.

Cheers,

Huey.