Want To Catch Yellowtail Livies Botany Bay - Help ?

archilles2

Hi everybody!

Hope all is well, been fishing the bay lately and boy have i had some fun, so many mixed bags, legal flatties, trevally, whitings etc. BUTTTTTTT i can't stand watching other fishos pull out whopper kingies in the bay.

I only fish light and avoid rigging up for kingies simply because i don't know how to catch them :tease:

Ladies and gentlemen, i can't take the pain no more and have decided to try fishing for kingies whilst fishing for my regulars ( bream,flatties etc ). Last week i almost got spooled on my tiny shimano reel , lucky the fish bit the hook in half and i was able to retrieve my new line :)

Anyhooo, i want to start catching live bait to fill my new live tank ( that i'm building myself )

, does anyone know any land based spots ?

techniques ? I'm getting advice from hither and wither as to how to build a nice kingie rod,reel and rig package too :)

Guest Aussie007

if your fishing land based they wont last in a bucket with an aerator as there a decent size yellow tail but u can try the wharf at the sydney port boat ramp you need to burley hard to get them on the bite

........i want to start catching live bait to fill my new live tank

.....does anyone know any land based spots ?

Hi Archilles2

You'll get plenty of live bait off the old wooden jetty on the north side of Captain Cook Bridge. Coming from the Shire, you drive down the very first street on the left as you cross the bridge and go down a short distance to the water...... Get there an hour before the tide turns to run out....... Use a bobby float and fish about a metre down, add a chem light to the float if you're fishing at night........ As the run in tide starts to slow, burley towards the V section formed by the meetings hall on your right and the river cruise boat....Add a good dash of cod liver oil to your surface burley to keep the bait there and up high and then lower your float stopper to fish higher to keep the rubbish away..... As soon as the live bait go off, put on a small squid jig as you are likely to get arrow squid there and also in the dead end near the Hole in the Wall boat ramp on the opposite side.

For your nippers- at the bottom of the tide, pump the sand flats on the south side of Tom Ugly's Bridge and you can get access from any of the dead end streets to the right of the boat ramp which is directy under the Bridge, right between the spans, and the same sand flats are excellent for both flathead and whiting as the tide starts to cover the pumping area and it's always a good idea to fish where you got the most nippers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer