Kingy Combo

tentonner

hi ,mate you really need to know what size kings you are after ,as for the little rats your average 2to 4kg bream plastic combo will be fine ,but if you chasing 70 to 80cm fish in reefy country you will have to heavier again and then if your chasin brutes youl have to go much heavier,i have 4 kingy combos

for example the kings dogtooth,s been getting ,he has been setting his drag at 18kg,to get the brutes he has been getting

cheers arman

Good Advice from Arman, you need to know what size kings you're after and how you're going to go about getting them. If you're catching kings off the surface then you can use real light gear down to about 4lb and get away with it. But if you're baiting then kings already have the element of surprise on their side as well as knowing the terrain around them hence why the first thing they head for is reef/mooring/structure. I do fish with a range of rods from 20lb-50lb when baiting for kings, so far the 20lb outfit gets most of the fish and very rarely loses any, i think it is a good line class as it has a fair bit of grunt but at the same time is still relatively light and thin which often means kings will hit that over the heavier thicker braids.

These are only mid-line rods but i highly recommened them, Silstar Crystal Blue range, they are tough fibreglass rods that always seem to do the job. My favourite is the 6-8kg spin rod and that is matched up with a Rovex Big Boss 5500 loaded with 20lb braid, this outfit has caught the most kings out of all that we own, it is good because it can be used for baiting but also casts well so can be used for targeting kings on the surface. This rod would set you back somewhere between $140-$180 i'd say which leaves you enough money to get a good quality reel.

Something like a Stradic 5000 or a Sustain loaded up with 20lb braid would make a really nice outfit.

Cheers

Josh

arman and josh and steve thanks for the advice so far

i thought by saying i would spool the reel with 20lb it would indicate i was going after small to

mid sized kings (say 65-80cms) but sorry for not clearing that up.

Josh i own a 3000 stradic and love it so am keen on your idea of a slightly cheaper rod to

be able to get a bigger stradic. Would most people agree it is better to place more importance

on the reel as opposed to the rod?

i thought by saying i would spool the reel with 20lb it would indicate i was going after small to

Josh i own a 3000 stradic and love it so am keen on your idea of a slightly cheaper rod to

be able to get a bigger stradic. Would most people agree it is better to place more importance

The rod is what you're essentially fighting the fish with and i can guarantee the rod i recommend will do that very well. It is however still important to have good quality reels that are strong and durable when going after tough rugged fish like kings. A smooth drag with a max of atleast 7kg of pressure is needed for kings as they will be the ones that find any weakness in your outfit. You'll notice a pretty serious difference between a 65cm king and an 80cm king, an 80cm fish whilst only 15cm longer will more than likely weigh twice as much as a 65cm fish if not more which means it has a lot more pulling power.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Josh

if you fishing 20 pound a stradic 4000 would be good and you can get a heap of graphite rods for under $2oo from all the good brands,a mate has a shimano rack raider ,snapper rod thats rated to 10kg ,although i haven t used it he has high regards for it ,landing plenty of rats on it and as few albacore off the shelf earlier this year,that rod retails for about 150

that outfit would be good for casting heavier plastics ,would be good for reddies too

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo

Hi Tentoner ,

For value for money i bought a Daiwa team advantage rod , and Daiwa advantage reel for under 400 dollars last year and spooled it up with 20 lb braid . It serves as a great jewfish soft plastic combo , snapper plastics combo and light king combo . Now in my opinion and value for money the daiwa rods are always finished a little bit better in components . And i hold the same opinion in all the small daiwa reels, another thing with daiwa is that you always get a spare spool .

Now having used this setup above on kings it is a top outfit and worth looking at .

Another thing is to find a 1 piece rod as they will always bend better and i like Hypalon grips on my rod over cork as i have had a few cork ones split over time ...

Heres the specs.......

TD-AA 701 MHFS Spin 7’0” 1 Med Heavy Fast ⅜-⅝oz 10-17lb Rod

TDA 4000 4.9 6+1 396 12lb/235m, 14lb/190m Reel

Cheers ....... Dogtooth :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

Hi mate,

I use three rod and reel combo's when fishing - a 7ft 2-4kg fast taiper rod for catching squid and yakkas, a 6.6ft 8-10kg rod with 30lb braid and 6500 reel. And a 7ft 10-15kg rod with 50lb braid and 8500 reel for the bigger baits. :1fishing1:

In the harbour the 8-10kg rod with 30lb braid and 6500 size reel gets the most hits and very seldom do I loose fish. :fisher:

The reel is the most important part of any set up and is worth spending extra for something that will last a lifetime of fishing. I like the eggbeater reels because they are interchangeable if you want to do some rock or beach fishing.

Also, make sure your guides are the right ones for the type of reel you buy. A rod for a spinning reel should have larger guides at the bottom. The guy in the tackle shop should guide you on matching the rod and reel.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

Leatherjacket

:1wine:

Edited by leatherjacket

i just bought a sol 3000 a couple of weeks ago from GO fish Pete to target the same size kings in my yak, whacked it onto a tierra 10-17lb rod which i had already, went fishing hooked up to a small king and loved it so much im getting another, soon, was also looking at the 4000 pretty sure it has the same drag capability, difference is spool size and weight, if someone could verify thatd be good.

Hi Tentoner ,

For value for money i bought a Daiwa team advantage rod , and Daiwa advantage reel for under 400 dollars last year and spooled it up with 20 lb braid . It serves as a great jewfish soft plastic combo , snapper plastics combo and light king combo . Now in my opinion and value for money the daiwa rods are always finished a little bit better in components . And i hold the same opinion in all the small daiwa reels, another thing with daiwa is that you always get a spare spool .

Now having used this setup above on kings it is a top outfit and worth looking at .

Another thing is to find a 1 piece rod as they will always bend better and i like Hypalon grips on my rod over cork as i have had a few cork ones split over time ...

Heres the specs.......

TD-AA 701 MHFS Spin 7’0” 1 Med Heavy Fast ⅜-⅝oz 10-17lb Rod

TDA 4000 4.9 6+1 396 12lb/235m, 14lb/190m Reel

Cheers ....... Dogtooth :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

I got the same combo, had it for about 6 months but i loaded it with 30lb braid ... i mainly use it for flicking SP's but i've had no problems so far and landed plenty of rats and a few legal kings ... a cheaper option to look at are the daiwa tierra rods .. u can get them for about $150 and my mate has one and loves it

Thanks for all the valuable advice guys - Having looked at my bank account I decided to cheapen my budget slightly to $350 and today went out and bought a Shimano Symetre 4000 for $200 and a 6'6 Shimano Barra Spin Raider 5-10kgs. Extremely happy with the outfit even though a Stradic 4000 would have looked much nicer just couldn't justify the extra $100. To top it off I spooled the Symetre with my favourite 20lb braid Platil Millenium braid.

Cheers to everyone for the help

Thanks for all the valuable advice guys - Having looked at my bank account I decided to cheapen my budget slightly to $350 and today went out and bought a Shimano Symetre 4000 for $200 and a 6'6 Shimano Barra Spin Raider 5-10kgs. Extremely happy with the outfit even though a Stradic 4000 would have looked much nicer just couldn't justify the extra $100. To top it off I spooled the Symetre with my favourite 20lb braid Platil Millenium braid.

Cheers to everyone for the help

Sounds like a great little combo. Now you just need to break it in with a nice kingie or two...

Tight lines...

Andrew

Hey guys, i myself am looking for a new kingy outfit and have been looking at a Shimano Tekota 600 with 30lb braid on it.

just wondering does any one have a tekota 600 for this purpose, if so whats your opinion on the reel? not sure on a rod to match any opinons appreciated.

cheers

squidink.

Hey guys, i myself am looking for a new kingy outfit and have been looking at a Shimano Tekota 600 with 30lb braid on it.

just wondering does any one have a tekota 600 for this purpose, if so whats your opinion on the reel? not sure on a rod to match any opinons appreciated.

cheers

squidink.

Ask the guys in the tackle shop, if he's any good he should know.