$250 Budget For Kingy Outfit, Help Needed!

archilles2

Hey all,

I tried posting in tackle talk but no one seems to wanna help me :thumbdown:

I caught my first kingfish on a handline this week and it's inspired me to try catch kingfish.

I have $ 250 to spend all up ( which probably isn't much for a whole kingy outfit ) but was hoping someone could tell me the following :

1. What rod i could buy

2. What reel i could buy

3. What braid

I want to catch fish 65 - 80cm in length or more if it could handle it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated , i fish Botany Bay and am setting up a live bait tank as we speak

Hey all,

I caught my first kingfish on a handline this week and it's inspired me to try catch kingfish.

I have $ 250 to spend all up ( which probably isn't much for a whole kingy outfit ) but was hoping someone could tell me the following :

1. What rod i could buy

2. What reel i could buy

3. What braid

Any help would be greatly appreciated , i fish Botany Bay and am setting up a live bait tank as we speak

Reel either Shimano 4500 btr $190 approx,,,, or okuma ec 60, $140 approx

Rod, silstar power crystal tip in the 8-10kg range $100 give or take. As for line, thats personal preference, I dont run braid, strictly mono.

Dan

Recommend you go to a reputable tackle shop for advice and to look at options within your budget. There's a lot to choose from.

Basically you want a 10kg outfit comprising a threadline reel and rod about 2m in length. I suggest you buy a reel that comes with 2 spools so you have the option of swapping between braid and mono. One spool would have say 10-15kg braid for the kings and the other with say 6kg mono for other types of fishing like bream and flathead.

Hope this helps.

bagga

Hey all,

1. What rod i could buy

2. What reel i could buy

3. What braid

Hi Mate,

$250 for a budget hey!!

I would suggest that a good no fuss overhead combo will keep you going for a while. I am assuming you are fishing from a boat if you are setting up a bait tank.

Look at a shimano charter special. These are a lever drag with level wind for no fuss. Can be picked up for under $150 new.

Match it with a 20lb 7" rod for the $80 - $100 dollar mark. There are heaps of cheaper brands that should be tough enough - i don't know them too well but i think pioneer rods or a silstar power tip may do. I would get the reel right as a rod can be upgraded later if neccessary.

Now you have an overhead combo that will handle kings, the lever drag will ensure you don't break anything (just set it properly). The beauty with the overhead is you can troll all day with it as well or bottom fish - look for a rod with a gimble fitting at the butt if you plan to troll a bit (it helps).

30lb mono with some 30 pound braid on top - 50lb leader and your away.

This can be set up for $250.

I am sure there are 1000's of combinations available but this will last and will fit budget.

Cheers,

Dan and Greg, Bagga - thankyou very much for you help , i really appreciate it. I've gone to two tackle shops already and both have suggested i go home and do my research, problem is it's so hard to find any info what so ever!

Do you think i could find a decent enough rod at either ****** or+_+_) ? then go target my reel online ?

Also i don't know how to set up my line, trace , hook , sinker etc. Can anyone tell me where i can find diagrams or info on this ? thanks a bunch

Hi Archilles2,

Certainly go to a reputable tackle shop for advise, but with that sort of budget, I'd recommend one of the Shimano Baitrunner based combos. This is a tried and true reel that will give you a great deal of versatility and many years of faithful service. This is much easier to cast than an overhead combo, particularly unweighted or lightly weighted baits for when the kings are near the surface as they often are.

Another reel to look at would be the one of the Penn Slammer spinning reels; probably the 760 size. You can often get these combo'd with a reasonable rod for around the $200-$220 range. These reels are awesome (strong, smoooooth, reliable, and fantastic drag), and seriously under-rated. I wish I owned one myself! Perhaps next purchase...

Braid-wise, to save $$$ purchase 120-150m (not 300m) of your preferred brand, probably in the 20-40lb range, and "top shot" it over mono. There are heaps of posts that will tell you how to do this and the pros and cons., but the takle store you purchase from can also help you with this.

If you visit one of the site sponsors and mention you're a Fishraider, I'm sure they'll look after you nicely.

Good luck on the kingies! :thumbup:

Edited by g.t.

mate just go in to a good tackle shop and tell them your budget and that you wanna catch kings in the harbour or where ever, they will hook you up as they may have some specials. I got a rod and reel for $160 that i use to catch kings, my biggest is only 70cm but i havnt had any problems thus far. If you look after the reel properly it will last you a while!

G.T. , Dicko,

thanks for you replies, i've got a boat and plan on sending my live bait down the bottom, i love to drift and have already been smashed by 2 kingies on light gear ( on the drift )

Not sure if it's a good idead to drift though, but this allows me to fish with my lighter rods at the front of the boat whilst i have three beasts, ready and live out the back ( occasionally anchoring near mollineaux point)

Could i ask , what's the difference between a cheaper shimano and a more expensive shimano ? Is it the pressure applied to the fish through drag ? I have just rigged up 4 rods using tiny FX 2500 FB ,

PERFECT FOR FLATTIES , BREAM, WHITING ETC.. But i have been spooled twice, fishing with 6lb line and felt even if i had thicker line , i couldn't stop the fish that spooled me. Do you think baitrunners will enably me to hold a fish up to 80cm ?

Edited by archilles2

Could i ask , what's the difference between a cheaper shimano and a more expensive shimano ? Is it the pressure applied to the fish through drag ? I have just rigged up 4 rods using tiny FX 2500 FB ,

In my experience there are a few main differences between cheaper and more expensive reels in any brand's range. As you mentioned, one of the features that should be better in more expensive reels is drag. This also dictated by the size of the reel (e.g. a 6000 sized reel will generally have more drag than a 2500 sized reel, and more line capacity of course). Better drag not only means heavier, but also more even and smoother over a larger range of drag pressure. Better drags are often better sealed from the salt water.

Another feature that generally is better as you go up the range is the number, and more importantly the quality of the ball bearings used in the reel. Better ball bearings in greater numbers make the operation of the reel smoother and with higher tolerances, and these "better" ball bearing will have a higher resistance to corrosion than cheaper ones.

Other worthwhile features of more expensive reels can be their general quality of materials and construction. Cheaper reels are often graphite and plastic which is fine for occasional and light fishing, but when you plan to catch plenty of large fish often, you should aim for something stronger and better constructed. As such, a better reel will usually have an Aluminium body and/or frame. This is important when your hooked to a powerful fish that will easily flex a cheaper reel, which makes the internals of the reel move out of alignment.

PERFECT FOR FLATTIES , BREAM, WHITING ETC.. But i have been spooled twice, fishing with 6lb line and felt even if i had thicker line , i couldn't stop the fish that spooled me. Do you think baitrunners will enably me to hold a fish up to 80cm ?

There are always the "unstoppables", but the 4500 and 6500 Baitrunners should be fine up to that size of fish. They'll hold close to 300m of 20-30lb line. 6lb is very light for kingies, and heavier line on a larger reel with more drag will put you in much better stead. It can be dictated by your location, but what's more likely with kingies is that they'll bust you off on nearby structure rather than spool you on these better suited line and reel combos.

Edited by g.t.

Hey mate,

I would seriously consider a Penn Spinfisher rod/reel combo, as a combo you can get these for about $200-$250 depending on where you get it from and they are tough rods/reels with good drags and solid design. These reels are used by most charter guides on Sydney harbour so they obviously do the job very well, and they last for a long time, spool it up with some 50 or 60lb braid and you'll be able to stop a lot of things but as with kings not all of them.

Have a look at the 850ss size that is about right, 750ss is a tad small and 950ss is really more for bigger fish 80cm+.

Cheers

Josh

The Diawa Sealine Bull is not a bad threadline - certainly much classier than a Baitrunner or Spinfisher. I picked my 4500 up for $150. I like overheads though a quality eggbeater will stop most kingies and is more versatile if you don't have a lot of gear. You can utilise the spare spool and use the reel for beach fishing, spinning, jewie fishing etc.