Banana's And Boats

Moro Mou

Hello Raiders

Can anyone tell me what the history behind Banana's and boats?

This morning i took a mate for a quick trip on the harbour to hopefully find a King but if all else failed at least a few tailor for some light tackle fun. We couldn't sight any Kings but found a school of small tailor and first cast i hooked one but it fell off while trying to lift into the boat. I threaded on a new plastic, as the little fella still stole my grub tail, and 2nd cast i was on again and this time boated before it was released. My mate then said "yep i'm on" but low and behold he had hooked a banana skin. I quickly said "what ever you do don't bring the bloody thing into the boat!!!. Unfortunately he could no wiggle the jig head free so the skin came on board.

With that the fish went and for the life of us we could find another school for the rest of the morning and headed back to the ramp only boating 1 fish. Needless to say i blamed the banana.

Appreciate anyones advise on why Banana's are a bad omen?

There's probably a million theories about where it comes from but one I've heard is that back in the day's of long sea voyages, bananas were bad news because as they ripen they produce a gas or pheromones or something that has the effect of causing any other fruit to ripen too... so all of a sudden all your limes, oranges, vegies etc would go bad. Not a good thing on a long sail.

Cheers, Slinky

Anyone or thing that comes on board my boat and lets off gas is banned!!!

Other theory was that the ripening bannanas gave off gas and sailors going to the bilge or holds could suffocate.

Is ethalene very explosive?? Hmmmm

Edited by pelican

Anyone or thing that comes on board my boat and lets off gas is banned!!!

farting out loud and proud at sea is one of the plaseures of fishing isnt it?? :unsure:

Over in Thailand the scuba charters take along a few bananas as the tropical fish love em.

I jumped in with a hand full of peeled banana and got inundated with fish - wife says that you couldnt even see me there were that many fish around me - Im 6'1!

Edited by tan the fisherman

I've heard stories similar to Slinky's and Penguins before, i don't eat them so never a problem but have been on boats where they've been before and hasn't seem to make to much difference.

When you're catching tailor though, its much better to use hard bodied or metal lures rather than soft plastics, as it will save you money and your soft plastic collection.

Josh