High Speed 'bream' Reel

slinkymalinky

Here's as tough one for people who know their gear. I'm after a very particular reel and can't find anything that fits the bill.

I want a small spinning reel (something that balances a Nitro Distance Spin)... ideally the size/weight of a 2500 Shimano or Daiwa (I'll be loading it with 10lb braid or so). Now here's the hard bit... I want it to be FAAAAAAAST. The outfit is for spinning with small (10-15g) metal slugs for beasties like little yellowfin.

I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to crank fast enough with the little Penn that I fished with last time I chased them. Couldn't get a touch unless the lure was really zipping.

The spool size of the little reel is such that getting any speed is nearly impossible. A 4000 size reel will do the job but is really over-weight for the outfit to feel nice.

I thought about a bigger Luvias because they're so light but the retrieve ratio is too slow, even though it has a nice big spool.

No small reels seem to have a retrieve ratio of over about 5.8 or 6-1. With a little spool the ratio needs to be higher.

This is really bugging me... anyone know of a really light reel with a good sized spool diameter and fast retrieve ratio??

GregL??? Ceph??? Swordy???

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky

Mate all the Daiwa reels are 4.8 and shimanos are 5.2 but the spools are smaller than daiwa, I'd say both are pretty close.

Maybe look at the 3000 size reels, usually same body as a 2500 but larger spool. The weight is usually less than 10gm difference between a 2500 and a 3000.

I have an Exist 3000 in excellent conditiion if your interested....

Greg

Edited by GregL

Thanks Greg,

If I can't find what I need I've got a couple of 3000 and 4000 sized reels I can press into service. I think it's inevitable with the continuing technology development combined with fishos using lighter and lighter outfits for bigger and bigger challenges that someone will have a go at it eventually.

I noticed that Okuma have bought out high speed versions of a range of their larger V Systems so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Not like I can't do with the exercise of high speed spinning with a 'slow' reel anyway :074:

See you in the morning.

Cheers, Slinky

Here's as tough one for people who know their gear. I'm after a very particular reel and can't find anything that fits the bill.

I want a small spinning reel (something that balances a Nitro Distance Spin)... ideally the size/weight of a 2500 Shimano or Daiwa (I'll be loading it with 10lb braid or so). Now here's the hard bit... I want it to be FAAAAAAAST. The outfit is for spinning with small (10-15g) metal slugs for beasties like little yellowfin.

I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to crank fast enough with the little Penn that I fished with last time I chased them. Couldn't get a touch unless the lure was really zipping.

The spool size of the little reel is such that getting any speed is nearly impossible. A 4000 size reel will do the job but is really over-weight for the outfit to feel nice.

I thought about a bigger Luvias because they're so light but the retrieve ratio is too slow, even though it has a nice big spool.

No small reels seem to have a retrieve ratio of over about 5.8 or 6-1. With a little spool the ratio needs to be higher.

This is really bugging me... anyone know of a really light reel with a good sized spool diameter and fast retrieve ratio??

GregL??? Ceph??? Swordy???

Cheers, Slinky

the highest ratio on the shimano reels are the stadic with a 6:1 and with the dawias the higest speed is around 5:1 unless you would consider a baitcaster and you could look at the dawia td zillion with a super high speed of 7.3:1 but they dont have a very big spool and there a bit pricey around the 400-500 bucks

hope this helps fisherboy :1fishing1:

Hi Slinky,

I've got the Shimano Sustain 2500 which has a 6.1:1 ratio.

I love it, do get the odd loop on the spool when winding up slack but i think thats because i'm using a thin 6lb braid, 10lb should be sweet.

Have a look at it, i used to use a Daiwa Exceler Plus which had a 4.7 ratio and i hated it for pelagics but now with this its great, caught salmon kings and tailor easily on a variety of lures and it casts brilliantly too.

Cheers

Josh