Need Some Tips For Catching Kingys In The Pittwater

framedtrash

i have only just recently bought a boat and after seeing soooo many pictures of big kingys on this great site i just have to catch one for myself

can some one give me some pointers i like to fish using soft plastics will these do the trick

and any good locations that will get me onto some nice kingys would be great

any help would be great and hopefully ill be posting some pics of me holding a few kingys

cheers in advance

:1fishing1:

i have only just recently bought a boat and after seeing soooo many pictures of big kingys on this great site i just have to catch one for myself

can some one give me some pointers i like to fish using soft plastics will these do the trick

and any good locations that will get me onto some nice kingys would be great

any help would be great and hopefully ill be posting some pics of me holding a few kingys

cheers in advance

Live squid, live slimies, live yellowtail, fresh squid (not frozen) - these are your best bet for regularly catching kingies.

In Pittwater, I would favour the deeper water around the back of Scotland Island or near the entrance to The Basin (towards the Eastern point). Also the point on the Southern side of Careel Bay.

You also get a lot of kings around the outside of Barrenjoey.

Best tactic is to either downrig (very slow troll) or anchor and fish the livebaits with bean sinkers above a 1m trace (double hooks for squid). Baits should be 2/3rds of the way to the bottom (eg fish about 20 feet deep in 30 feet of water).

I would save your plastics for when either the kingies are busting bait on the surface (use sluggos) or when you have one boatside and its mate follows it up (put another bait or lure in the water and hoepfully convert to a double hookup).

Good luck!

Edited by wise one

perfect thanks for the tips

i plan on going for a fish tomorrow just went and picked up some berley from+_+_)

got some of Big Johns Secret Berley Mix and 500ml of tuna oil

also picked up one of these Secret Weapon Berley Release from whitworths on speical only $15 LINK

i also just bought a tiger burley trail indicator looks pretty neat heres a LINK

hopefully this will help me land some more fish :):1fishing1:

Edited by Framedtrash

I agree with 'Wise one'. Down-rigging with fresh squid is the best technique. Personally I just trawl a weighted line very slowly. I've even seen guys doing it with hand-lines and catching heaps of kingies. Movement is the key - attract their attention and use fresh or live bait.

Try around Scotland Is. close to the piers and jetties

Good luck!

Cheers,

Andrew

cheers for the tips lads

do i need any special rod

will i be able to use my plastics rod its a 6'1 graphite rated 4-5kgs with 4kg line

or ive got carbon fibre 5-10kg rod

i like to use light gear so every fish i catch feels like ive caught a whale

cheers

cheers for the tips lads

do i need any special rod

will i be able to use my plastics rod its a 6'1 graphite rated 4-5kgs with 4kg line

or ive got carbon fibre 5-10kg rod

i like to use light gear so every fish i catch feels like ive caught a whale

cheers

Giving it a go on the lighter gear is great fun, but I ether loose them or they are undersized. Especially if you are trawling close to structure.

Normally I use a 8-10kg rod with 30lb and a 10-15kg rod with 50lb, just in case I hook a 80+cm moster! Also I have a 2-4kg rod for catching live bait or flicking soft plastics if the kingies break the surface.

:beersmile:

Let me know how you go and good luck!

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Framedtrash,

If my success rate is anything to go by, the best technique for fishing Pittwater is to keep driving until you hit Sydney harbour. Pittwater has been netted too hard since the closure of commercial fishing in Sydney harbour. It used to be a very regular fishery, but a bi more sporadic now.

Also, with 5kg line you will get smashed by them. Good luck, hope it goes well.

The Poacher

Hi Framedtrash,

If my success rate is anything to go by, the best technique for fishing Pittwater is to keep driving until you hit Sydney harbour. Pittwater has been netted too hard since the closure of commercial fishing in Sydney harbour. It used to be a very regular fishery, but a bi more sporadic now.

Also, with 5kg line you will get smashed by them. Good luck, hope it goes well.

The Poacher

:Funny-Post:

cheers for all the advice

i always knew i would end in in the harbour chasing the kingies

but since i live at Bayview which is 2 seconds off pittwater i was hoping to try my luck there first

im heading out for a fish in the next hr or so prob go for a drift around palm beach for some flatties at change of tide all goes well should get a nice feed

now who has some tips for flattys in the pittwater i no off palm beach is good around the weeds any more spots i should hit

cheers lads

Edited by Framedtrash