Penn Slammer Live Liner

shieldsy

hey guys i was looking at buying a penn slammer live liner 5600. i will use it for kings and jew and thinking about 30lb braid but not sure wat the drag is like.

also considering a shimano baitrunner 4500.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

shieldsy

hey guys i was looking at buying a penn slammer live liner 5600. i will use it for kings and jew and thinking about 30lb braid but not sure wat the drag is like.

also considering a shimano baitrunner 4500.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

shieldsy

Gday shieldsy,

Mate I haven't used a Penn slammer, but I fish for Kings regularly with a Baitrunner 4500 loaded with 20lb mono and 150m of PEX 50lb Braid, great setup and had some great Kingies, be hard pressed to fault it, unless your after bigger Kings, in which case get the 6500 with straight through 50lb Braid, you'll need it....

Cheers, Tobe

i own a slammer 760 and its definitely smoother than my old 9500ss. u also get stronger drag on te 760 slammer. i estimate at least 15kg whereas u'll get around 8-10 kg on the 9500ss. it can definitely take braid....as i have some on mine. its honestly a good and strong cheap reel.

cheers

bert

shieldsy -

I bought a #5600 Live liner about 4 or 5 years ago "Made in America & modified for Australia (it was not called a Slammer Liveliner at that point). Have not used it extensively but would have to say its been rock solid when I have used it.

The older Penns (USA made) are pretty robust and were favoured by many charter operators. No dramas with braid in my experience.

At the time of purchase thought it a better reel than the baitrunner (and dont recall it being cheaper at the time).

Dont think you would go wrong with either.

John

Edited by Blood Knot

Have to agree with tobinator, the 560 might find itself caught short when dealing with the more serious kings or jews think about the 760. Can't fault either reel my old man has the bait runner and i have the slammer (got it cause it was around $80 cheaper) both designs are near ancient but outfish most modern gear I heard the same advice about avoiding braid on the slammer, so i fish mono with no dramas. Once the penn got the anti reverse stopper and a bearing in the bail arm to lay untwisted line you can't serperate the two.... Except for the weight the penn is easily one and a half times heavier but holds more line.