Crab Traps?

Berleyguts

What are the best traps for mud crabs?

I have a couple of witches hat traps, which I've used successfully for blue swimmers. However, I have recently bought into an onsite van at Wisemans Ferry, so thought I might try for muddies (I'm not so much into waterskiiing, yet) and the mesh in the witches hats, is a little thin, I guess. Are those orange collapsible traps that you can buy for about $10 any good?

Thanks,

Baz

Yes, you'll need a thicker meshing. The one's i've seen are rectangular in shape , collapsible and the mesh is either orange or blue, the meshing is alot thicker too. IThey are more expensive than witches hats

about $15- $20.

Whack them near the mangroves with half a mullet on each. You'll either catch em or you won't so move around , ask the locals and try different spots.

Don't give up until you catch one. I've caught them using the above technique

My dad uses dily pots for mudcrabs some times. The biggest problem though is that muddies will tear them to shreds if you don't check them regularly.

My pop uses steal framed traps, your are only allowed to use one though but at least the crabs dont get tangled up and destroy the netting.

The saltwater handbook from the DPI site shows all the different traps you can use / how many and a bunch of other information.

If you are going to check them every 2 hrs or so then the 12 ply witches hats are fine but die the mesh dark green or black for better results. If you want to use the bigger traps then the rectangular ones will do but i have had more sucess with the round black traps. You are allowed five witches hats and one trap per person.

hey

the collapisible orange ones are the go. i have caught plenty in these over the years and the best thing is you can leave it for days if you wanted and the crabs cant get out and they will continue to climb in as long as there is food still in it

with the wiches hats your relying on them to tangle them selves or for you to snag them on the way up also the net openings are larger and fish swim in to eat the bait

Adzzy

As indicated already, you are allowed 5 witches hats but only one the larger collapsible box type generally if day fishing we use witches hats and check them every 1\2 hour or so.

You get pretty good coverage with five down.

If staying over night generally used the box types put them in in the vening and check in the morning.

Be aware that crap nets no matter what type are prone to being nicked or poached if not watched.

As indicated already, you are allowed 5 witches hats but only one the larger collapsible box type generally if day fishing we use witches hats and check them every 1\2 hour or so.

You get pretty good coverage with five down.

If staying over night generally used the box types put them in in the vening and check in the morning.

Be aware that crap nets no matter what type are prone to being nicked or poached if not watched.

Thanks guys. Good to know. I was going to buy 5 traps! So, I think I can get heavier mesh for the witches hats(?). I'll use those when I'm ducking out for a fish and back in a few hours. And I'll use the trap if I'm feeling lazy and want to leave it in lobegr or overnight and enjoy a few :beersmile::beersmile:

Baz