De-ja-jew...

klainz

Had been constantly toying with the idea of hitting the spot where I had caught my first ever jewie a couple of months ago but because of the hard yards involved, kept putting it off. Takes me alot of 'mental angst' heading into a serious jew attempt (so many fishless trips!) - real hope for a miracle but also fully acknowledge you most likely will not convert. Also, on this occasion, had extra odds stacked against me: converting again at the same location on only the second time hitting it - I was surely going to be in for the usual long fishless session.

Yet the moonerage, tides and even the wind seemed to imply there might be a 'textbook' chance. (anyone want to put forward their thoughts about barometrics and jew??)

The session started at 2am catching a few yakkas at an ever reliable bait ground which on this occasion held a few squid also. Great start. Caught 2 arrows and 2 southern calamari all perfect whole squid size baits but threw the 4th back as it was probably too small and I could see bigger ones in the water. Interestingly, as soon as I threw the little guy back in - the others all disappeared!

Got to the spot at 0315 carrying that bucket of live bait pain through bush and spider webs galore. Started poorly with both fresh whole squid taken sequentially by eels in the first 3 hours. Had already cut up the 3rd fresh squid (before losing the first 2) into tiny strips going for a consolation dawn keeper bream or two (which never happened). Thus, had to pull out a 2 week old (but frozen the day of capture) Malabar caught squid and put on half a skinned hood. The sun was well and truly out and I already had dreaded thoughts of the walk back to the car. Then, at almost exactly the same time as when I caught my first jewie a couple of months back - the awesome sound of my new eclipze90's (been doing a bit of gear upgrading recently) drag began. It ended up being smaller than my first jew at 74cm but it fought twice as hard. Early in the fight, I sincerely thought I was not going to be able to land it! (knife is 30cm long)

post-7134-1233800879_thumb.jpg

Next cast out, using a wing this time, a few solid taps then that sweet sound. It felt like a smaller fish and it was. Went 60cm.

post-7134-1233801011_thumb.jpg

Absolutely no joke, during the night I had seen 2 shooting stars!

Autopsy of the bigger model revealed this:

post-7134-1233801191_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what it is?? It's got some lobster like tail on it.

Instead of taking a monster bag of laundry or stuff needing storage to my folks' place I was able to give them a few of these.

post-7134-1233801368_thumb.jpg

I'm never going to hit that spot again, surely!

PS. Is it just me or does there seem to be more jewie reports than ever before? More guys fishing for them or signs of a healthy system? It's great stuff.

PPS. If anyone is wondering, I actually livebait the yakkas under a float - I've heard that you can apparently get kings at this spot too - yeah, gotta be a load of BS (then again, the Spit apparently offers both) Don't think I'll bother with the yakkas anymore. The arms certainly won't mind.

Edited by klainz

Had been constantly toying with the idea of hitting the spot where I had caught my first ever jewie a couple of months ago but because of the hard yards involved, kept putting it off. Takes me alot of 'mental angst' heading into a serious jew attempt (so many fishless trips!) - real hope for a miracle but also fully acknowledge you most likely will not convert. Also, on this occasion, had extra odds stacked against me: converting again at the same location on only the second time hitting it - I was surely going to be in for the usual long fishless session.

Yet the moonerage, tides and even the wind seemed to imply there might be a 'textbook' chance. (anyone want to put forward their thoughts about barometrics and jew??)

The session started at 2am catching a few yakkas at an ever reliable bait ground which on this occasion held a few squid also. Great start. Caught 2 arrows and 2 southern calamari all perfect whole squid size baits but threw the 4th back as it was probably too small and I could see bigger ones in the water. Interestingly, as soon as I threw the little guy back in - the others all disappeared!

Got to the spot at 0315 carrying that bucket of live bait pain through bush and spider webs galore. Started poorly with both fresh whole squid taken sequentially by eels in the first 3 hours. Had already cut up the 3rd fresh squid (before losing the first 2) into tiny strips going for a consolation dawn keeper bream or two (which never happened). Thus, had to pull out a 2 week old (but frozen the day of capture) Malabar caught squid and put on half a skinned hood. The sun was well and truly out and I already had dreaded thoughts of the walk back to the car. Then, at almost exactly the same time as when I caught my first jewie a couple of months back - the awesome sound of my new eclipze90's (been doing a bit of gear upgrading recently) drag began. It ended up being smaller than my first jew at 74cm but it fought twice as hard. Early in the fight, I sincerely thought I was not going to be able to land it! (knife is 30cm long)

post-7134-1233800879_thumb.jpg

Next cast out, using a wing this time, a few solid taps then that sweet sound. It felt like a smaller fish and it was. Went 60cm.

post-7134-1233801011_thumb.jpg

Absolutely no joke, during the night I had seen 2 shooting stars!

Autopsy of the bigger model revealed this:

post-7134-1233801191_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what it is?? It's got some lobster like tail on it.

Instead of taking a monster bag of laundry or stuff needing storage to my folks' place I was able to give them a few of these.

post-7134-1233801368_thumb.jpg

I'm never going to hit that spot again, surely!

PS. Is it just me or does there seem to be more jewie reports than ever before? More guys fishing for them or signs of a healthy system? It's great stuff.

PPS. If anyone is wondering, I actually livebait the yakkas under a float - I've heard that you can apparently get kings at this spot too - yeah, gotta be a load of BS (then again, the Spit apparently offers both) Don't think I'll bother with the yakkas anymore. The arms certainly won't mind.

Nice catch you have there mate! good to see the persistance pay off. if you dont mind me asking where abouts at malabar have you caught the squid before?

cheers keep it up.

well done mate! dont stop going to that particular spot. I have a spot in the hawkesbury that fires every time for schoolies in april may and you may have found one of those spots!! If you have found them there on 2 different occassions the chances are that it is no fluke and my bet is that it will produce regularly. sometimes they can be a bit hard to work out but there will be a good reason why they are at this spot , food being the no1 reason,but you could be fishing over a drop off - the edges of rock reefs where they drop into sand are good spots to try or perhaps an eddy where they can sit with out much effort and pop out into the main current to grab food passing by combine that with the edge of a reef and small bait fish and your in prime jew territory. sometimes they will come right up into shallow water no deeper than 10ft to feed on sand flats at night just like bream, but that again depends on food eg: mullet or prawns on the sand flat. congratulations, I have a feeling this could be the begining of you becoming another jew tragic!

Nice catch you have there mate! good to see the persistance pay off. if you dont mind me asking where abouts at malabar have you caught the squid before?

cheers keep it up.

When you go down to malabar (ie. long bay) and check it out on a sunny day with clear water, your mouth will water and casting arm start twitching at all the dark patches admist sand bottom within casting distance from the shore.

Congratulations on catching a nice couple of jewfish off the rocks Klainz. :thumbup: If only you could get access to the deep holes around the cliffs between National Park and Stanwell Park or go out at night and hold the boat in close ay.

I believe there are a lot of squid around Bear Island Bridge at the moment, but if you want to keep your car intact, :1yikes: there's just as many being caught off the jetties in the Hacking, I believe.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: