Rapala X Raps And Skirts For Dollies

nic_ally_king

Hi,

I'm putting together an order for a few x raps just wanted to see what others thought worked best (I know they're all pretty good but anyway..)

Using them mainly for trolling and some cast/retrieve around pittwater/BB for kings, salmon (any pelagic but mainly kings).

has anyone had much luck on the x rap xr10 DEEP lures?? I've only used the regular shallower version. Was also gonna get few xr12's but can only get in HOT HEAD or PERCH colour (ebay) - what do you guys think?

Also what length/size skirts do ppl find are the go trolling the FADs for dollies? Never been, planning on going next wk with some better weather!! ps, is the phone reception out there?

Sorry for all the Q's

Nic

all the X-Raps work wonderfully and the bright colours go well on tuna, macks and dollies but the X-Rap 12's you speak of (with trailing tail feather and black nickel hooks) were designed for cod, bass, barra and other fresh species. the X-Rap deeps are the same deal... designed for fresh but will work fine in salt if you really want, just dont expect the hooks to last forever, they will last a long time if cared for properly.

id recommend going for the SXR12 (Saltwater 12cm X-Rap) as they come fitted with perma steel VMC hooks and stainless split rings which will hold up to the harsh saltwater thrashing you plan on giving them with the kings, there are also more saltwater specific colours available such as dorado, bonito, blue sardine, green gold mackerel (the all time favourite) etc... these colours are the go for kings. the deep version of these is the famous X-Rap Magnum which has been accepted as the #1 bibbed hardbody for tuna, mackerel, & other pelagics around australia - they work brilliantly and are worth running as they cover another section of the water column keeping all options open.

good luck.

CFD

Quality advice CFD thanks!

i only swear by one lure for Dolly's it is a black Magic Jetsetter in Burple, with a twin hook 6/0 O'Shaunessy hooks on 120lb single strand coated wire to an 80lb trace,, it will catch any dolly if they are there set far back just out of the prop wash. If i had to put my money on one lure it would be this one, it is dynamite in my books.

i like 2 use a purple zuker in small 4 dollies.. the featherd skirt definately works wonders

Yep those black magic's are quality... managed to grab some bargains the other day for some that are more or less replicas of the jetsetters. Just gotta test them out now looking forward to it, hopefully water should already be warming up out there