I Saw Squid At Clifton Gardens But I Couldn't Catch Em!

archilles2

Hey all, yesterday I ventured out clifton gardens for a couple of hours of fishing in the afternoon - it took me forever to get there and to top it off i had to pay $6 to stay for only 2 hours :mad3:

Anyhow, I didn't expect to see much squid as it was windy and the first sunnish afternoon since the rains.

I flicked my new pink 1.8g yo zuri and after about half an hour I noticed some of them following

BUT NO TAKERS!

This was my first time squidding in 10 years , what was i doing wrong ? i saw them come to the surface but they weren't biting.

Perhaps i was winding too fast? any suggestions ? A couple of blokes around me caught 3 or 4 and i caught nothing !!! HELP PLEASE

Edited by archilles2

Hey all, yesterday i ventured out clifton gardens - it took me forever to get there and to top it off i had to pay $6 to stay for only 2 hours :mad3:

Anyhoo, i didn't expect to see much squid as it was windy and the first sunnish afternoon since the rains.

I flicked my new pink 1.8g yo zuri and after about half an hour I noticed some of them following

BUT NO TAKERS!

This was my first time squidding in 10 years , what was i doing wrong ? i saw them come to the surface but they weren't biting.

Perhaps i was winding too fast? any suggestions ? A couple of blokes around me caught 3 or 4 and i caught nothing !!! HELP PLEASE

What size jig were you using?

If the jig is as big or bigger than the squid they will go look at it and then run away.

Cheers,

Simmo

i think the size was 1.8 it was tiny..

i would let it sink, then the squid woul disappear but i lifted it after about 20 seconds. Maybe i should of left it....Also how do they feel when they strike ? i don' remember..

Another problem was that this jig took forever to sink and there was always to much slack , but the minute i would tighten my lines the jig would come to close to the top as i was fishing off a wharf...

Edited by archilles2

Hey mate,

I have also experienced this at Clifton Gardens.

I noticed that the squid there are generally a great size for live bait but nothing else.

They are just too small for the larger jigs we throw at them.. even the 1.8's just seem to large for them.

The squid around Clifton are very timid unlike those which are at Watsons.. they strike at anything!

Your best bet would to keep trying and maybe even invest in a can of Egimax from either the site sponsors or from your local tackle shop.

Good luck! :1fishing1:

Keep trying mate. Clifton has its moments. Over Xmas break I couldnt cast a cast and light a smoke up before I was onto one. Yes the majority are small you will put out of there, but you do get the ODD good squid, 25cm plus, but its infrequent.Hmmmmm gotta get down to Clifton its been over a month since I hit it :biggrin2:

Dan

Hey mate, a while back a friend and me were fishing for squid, the water was really clear for the entire day, so we were able to watch the slimey buggers in action. Every time the jig sinks they all move in, they seem to like hitting the jig only when its dropping. hope this helps. Catch heaps!

If you're super determined i'd start with egimax then go as small a jig as you own then try different colours then different sizes then lighter leaders, bits of fish or prawns flesh on the spikes, fish bait on a squid spike.

I went squidding in the hacking last weekend and had at least half a dozen chase my jig 1st cast and keep playing with it and watching but not take it properly. they started to lose intrest 1 by 1 as i kept changing colours and sizes. After half an hour or so of this stupid game i caught 1.

Sometimes they just don't want to cooperate. Come back at a different tide or time of day.

if you think a 1.8 jig is too big, consider using a fly. i've seen a guy in the hacking pick up mini squid on fly.... i presume they were custom made with trebbles / some kind of special hook.

does anyone here use this technique? (apologies for the post hijack)