Poppers - The New Craze

Spanker

Hello all,

I keep hearing stories about braining whiting and flathead on poppers, not only from the entreuprenarial tackle storeman but from other fishoes. I flogged some rivers and estueries from a $15 model to know result.

Any advice on popper models, retrieves and territory? I guess I would like to target whiting and flatties. I am headin up to Port Macquarie in 2 weeks and want to give them on more shot.

Thanks

Spanker

Poppers

Bushy Stiffy

Surecatch

BubblePops

Basically, any poppers 50-65mm with a broad cup face. They will range in value from $3.00 to $15 each

Retrieve

A brisk pace with no pauses. (roughly 1 rod movements per second) Popper should push a substantial spray in front of it if it is being worked at the correct pace and 'depth'. Generally, whiting will shy away from a stationary popper, so continue the retrieve even if they have a swipe and miss. Flathead will hit it in an explosion of water and sand ... it is awesome to see (and hear) :1yikes:

Territory

Flathead and whiting will be found in similar locations. Target:

the weedbeds that have exposed sand patches through them

ledges/hollows/dropoffs where sandbars meet deeper water

Here is a selection of poppers that are successful on whiting and flathead. Good luck mate,

Hodgey

post-3198-1235111569_thumb.jpg

have a read of the how to guide on poppers for bream man and just keep at it and try different methods there is an art to this its just not draging them across the top of the water and waiting for the fish to commit suicide iv had lots of frustrating trips coming home empty handed but then again iv had some cracker sessions the only thing i would add is i prefer smaller poppers on calmer days and size up abit when theres a bit of a ripple also never leave home with out a tatally clear popper oh yeah sorry hodgey but i have to differ here with you i like to rip 4-5 times and pause until no ripples can be seen form the popper many of times iv had the popper smashed up on the pause especially by lizards have landed whiting with this method to but either method will work im telln ya theres nuthn better than getting smashed up off the surface when you get the first youll know wat we're talking about

good luck with it

mick

I mainly use bubblepops with bream as Hodgey said (roughly 1 rod movements per second) BUT I find pausing is when I get 80% of my hook ups. But as you are after Whiting I would keep on the move at a fast pace... as they get very excited and fight each other for the Lure. Flathead tho for me are like bream and most on the pause.

Shallow water is always the key with poppers, 15cms will get you fish....

• 2 weeks later...

Alright finished for week up in Port Macquarie.

Tried two different poppers and a sugerpen lure (prawn looking thing. I fished lake Cathie opening and lake Hope flats. :1fishing1:

Tally as follows;

- one crappy tailor

- a trebble in the index finger + 3 hours at the Dr's to get it cut out :1yikes:

Sigh........

I am going to give them ONE LAST try hehe

Spanker

• 3 weeks later...

try to find a quiet mud,sand or weed flat wich is dry at most low tides then get up there as the tide rises looking for any fish activity even if you think there mullet cast to them any way.fan your casts around with a few rips then a pause if one hits it but doesnt hook up make a few more rips and pause hel come back for it.any popper with sharp hooks will do.good luck

Whilst Ive found the bubble pops great (35mm in particular) , a negative is the size leaves them susceptible to be snapped clean off by pike which are quite prevalent here in lake Macquarie.

I have been using the 5cm strike pro (duro) rack popper sh002b in clear (red eye) pattern to good effect, just being that tad bigger than the r2s makes a huge difference, The retrieve I use are very short sharp stabs only moving the rod tip about 6 inches at a time in a downward motion from about the 4 o clock position and vary this depending on the water conditions (the more chop and wind the heavier the action). You are only really trying to make a bow wave with a little noise not a tsunami.

I target weeded areas and ideally in anywhere from about 1 foot of water to about 8 feet of water.

Light leaders are a must (hence the pike problem).

Cheers

Geoff

• 1 year later...

new member here!

has anyone tried using poppers under the spit bridge or narrabeen lake?

this is only land based!!

thanks

bought my first popper yesterday and had a flick over the narrabeen lake flats, plenty of smallish whiting were chasing it. However i was casting over schools of larger fish and tey didnt seem too interested. But there are plenty of whiting in there to hook up on.

Hiles

The water temp around sydney is very cold at the moment for bream, whiting and flathead on top water lures...atm you might find the odd follow from a tailor...... on a really warm day (like today) you might find the shallows have wamed up enough to entice a strike....but last year it almost got too almost mid december before consistent results were found on the top water...

This topic has come back to life after 18 months and I am still none-the-wiser with poppers :1prop:

Yes I have thrown poppers around Narrabeen lagoon at length for a sqillion follows and no strikers. Think I need to get out one morning with someone who knows their business.............any volunteers? lol

Spanker

• 3 weeks later...

Same deal with me, millions of follows but not nearly enough strikes. Only from the odd tailor. Can't wait for summer to see how I have improved.

hey Monch,

Maybe you and me should rope in a popper guru in the summer for a msterclass on popping! Ask one of the lads to take us out for the monring and then shout them a massive breakie at a cafe mid-morning to debrief. :thumbup:

I'll get in touch in December, see if we can arrange something.

Any guru poppers care to volunteer at this stage ? :biggrin2:

Spanker