Sounder

adzzy

Hi

I wanted to know how reliable a 15 year old sounder would be

I was cruising the harbour on the weekend and the finder was going nuts with fish of all sizes showing on the screen so i would pull up and fish using bait and lures but no takers

do you think the sounder is rubbish or the fish were not hungry?

Adzzy

make sure the sounder doesnt have a demo mode

ive been out fishing on my mates boat before and thought we were in a great spot finder was showing millions of fish thought we had hit gold

ended up the finder has in a demo mode and we where in a shit spot

ha

Hi

I was cruising the harbour on the weekend and the finder was going nuts with fish of all sizes showing on the screen so i would pull up and fish using bait and lures but no takers

Adzzy

What mode did you have the sounder on mate? (ie: was it displaying 'fish' symbols or 'arcs')

Hodgey

Hi

Adzzy

I would like a dollar for every time my sounder has found fish that i couldnt catch! Sounders dont catch the fish just show where they are.

G'day adzzy,

First thing to do is turn off the 'fish ID' feature... the fish symbols. They are misleading, inaccurate and mostly show things as fish that aren't, or miss lots of things that are... lol.

See if you can find a manual for your sounder somewhere but I'd recommend you have a look at either Rick Huckstepp's book or DVD on understanding sounders... they're cheap and a great investment to getting the best out of your sounder, no matter how old it is.

Regarding the age... sounders these days are basically computers and like all computers, they become 'outmoded' quickly. Current model sounders will definitely be much improved on yours but 15 years ago, your sounder was leading edge and helping people get more fish. It still will but even with the best sounder, I believer that 80% of the success comes from the operator, not the technology.

Stick with it mate... last time I was in Go Fish, they had Rick's DVD I think. A worthwhile buy.

Cheers, Slinky