Tacklebacks

Guest Target

Guest Target

Just after some info on tacklebacks (lure retrievers).

What line do you use them on?

I use one a fair bit, especially for dam and river work, and have generally used 20 to 30lb mono on a hand line, but after loosing a few, its starts to get expensive - more so that for the rest of the day you cant retieve snagged lures :(

Would it be better to use braid? but then the braids so thin you cant get a good grip to pull them back in when snagged...... Thick mono is a problem as its got a bit more drag in the water, not overly supple and tends to tangle a bit in the boat. Thin rope...

What do you guys use?

Adrian

either venetian cord line or I got some green "hoochie" cord that guys in the army use, it would break at something silly, in fact it sometimes breaks the branch off, bring the branch, lure and retriever all up.

I keep it all rolled on a plastic handcaster

Guest Target

Patl

How do you find the drag of the venetian blind cord in the water? I've avoided using it before because I though it might slow the tackleback going down to the lure. Most times you tend to free the lure with just the impact of the tackleback in the first place.

Might just have to try it though - even with 30lb line I get a branch back occasionaly, but the mono wears and breaks still.

Thanks

Adrian

I only fish out of a small tinny so I find you can usually sit right over the top of the snag and drop the tackleback onto it, it seems to work ok.

The green cord is the best but if you can only get venetian cord line there is different diameters.

I actually take two of them, a tackleback and another called a snag I think, it is just a heavy weight with a line guide and a couple of short bits if chain, I normally use the tackle back first becuase if it gets off with this you start fishing straight away.

With the snag thingo it usually catches one of the hooks and you straighten the hooks or pull the split ring out sometimes getting it back depending on the strength of the hooks, it a worst case scenerio the lure may not swim straight without some tuning as things sometimes get pulled pretty hard.

But every now and again you may lose a lure, I usually find if it is rocks or big logs there is a chance you may not get them back due to the lure maybe getting lodged in a crevice, heavy weed or under a ledge/log.

But over the years they get enough back to pay for themselves heaps

Guest Target

Thanks for the advice guys,

I normally try and flick lures off first, can get about 50% back that way, as long as the hooks havent gone too deep into timber (works a treat on rock snags), then the tackleback comes out.

Will get some green VB cord I think, I dont like actually loosing the lure retriever :(

Thanks

Adrian