Need Reel Advice Please

joel99

Hey Guys, i recently purchased a shimano rack raider 6"8' (3-5kg) rod for soft plastics, hard bodies and the occasional light bait fishing. I would like to purchase a reel to match it. im thinking around the 2000-2500 size. Also it needs to be able to handle the occasional monster flatty / small jew, king etc. my price range is around 90-140 but if there is something exceptional that will last me a long time im willing to fork out a little bit extra.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody knows any great sales or anyone selling good condition used reels let me know.

Thanks guys. :1fishing1:

Hi joel,

I've got symmetre's and exceler plus reels and they are fairly good reels for the price. If you are looking for a reel that will last you a long time then definitely check out the Penn Applause reels, they have a full metal body and are tough as and i've caught plenty of kings on them before. They are fairly cheap as well, you should be able to pick one up for $120-$140.

Cheers

Josh

G'day Joel,

Good advice from Josh... I've got a Penn Applause as well as a few more 'flashy' reels. You couldn't kill the Applause with a stick. Caught my little Yellowfin with it recently. Very tough and in my opinion worth more than they charge for them.

As far as reels lasting a long time, it's pretty much down to regular cleaning and maintenance. Even a cheap reel will perform faultlessly for a long time if you look after it. Likewise, spending a lot on a reel means nothing if you don't.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks guys, those were some reels i was looking at. let me be clear though that performnce and feel are at the top of my preferences.

Also where are the best places to buy reels? theres often huge price differences between different shops.

cheers.

G'day Joel , I have that exact same rod, I have Shimano Stradic 2500 on mine, cost a little more but they are champion little reels, it has caught me heaps of flatties ..

Cheers..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking to buy a 1000 or 2000 size reel.

You guys have got me interested in the Penn applause.

But I've also noticed the Penn affinity for a liitle extra.

Anyone got any thoughts on these?

Are they worth the extra coin?

(I note they have 8 bb's instead of 5)

........I've got a Penn Applause as well as a few more 'flashy' reels. You couldn't kill the Applause with a stick. Caught my little Yellowfin with it recently. Very tough and in my opinion worth more than they charge for them.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Shaune read Slinky's reply mate... The Penn Applause is a reel with a good reputation that also has Slinky's recommendation and the Applause has that something else about it's performance that makes it much more than the average reel for your purposes :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: