Kelso Weed

damos

I'm trying to have a go at blackfishing as I've caught a few on bread while trying to catch poddies. I heard there was some weed at Kelso park quite a few times on the site but couldn't locate any there. Anyone want to give me some hints as where to look?

Thanks,

Damos

Edited by damos

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to have a go at blackfishing as I've caught a few on bread while trying to catch poddies. I heard there was some weed at Kelso park quite a few times on the site but couldn't locate any there. Anyone want to give me some hints as where to look?

Thanks,

Damos

Was speaking to an old timer just the other day, (who was chasing them without success out at East Hills), about this very matter. Apparently the inlet at Kelso Park was "treated" about 9 months ago by Bankstown Council for bamboo. In the bargain, weed, fish and waterfowl have now disappeared from there. However, the bamboo remains! Absolutely criminal behaviour in this day and age.

After a couple of hours searching I did manage to score a couple of handfuls of weed of dubious quality around Picnic Point, but the constant rain appears to have played havoc with both the availability of bait and Blackfish in this part of the Georges River, the latter of which seem to have gone off the bite because of all the fresh water in the system. Anyone know of better when it comes to sourcing the green stuff? I'm thinking of turning to weed flies I'm so desperate!

Edited by Homeside

I'm just curious about this "weed"... Does it grow in saltwater (river water), or does it grow in freshwater (drains and creeks)?

I've got this hairy type of weed in my fish tank, and the salinity is almost marine.

you can use both the fresh water and salt water weed and in my own experiance both of these work, though the fresh water stuff tends to be a bit slimeyer and therefore slightly harder to get on the hook.

cheers hoodlum

If freshwater weed works.... then I'm going to go and collect some next time... gotta wait for this rain to stop though, as the drain is overflowing I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I no expert but heres what i know green weed grows in cycles in places it loves polution especially phosphates. i can tell you when it will grow in one place at a certin time of year for only 2 months and is the best weed you will harvest1 yet it will not grow ther in winter. Fellas like my old man spent a life working this out and its just as much a pleasure gathering the bait as catching the fish. use the UBD look tidal creeks and swamps and go forth! And well getting the places i used to gather it wit hdad will be like getting the crown jewels! :1prop: