Lord Howe , Charters And Fishingspots

frangkie

can anyone give me any info on their experience with charter operators on lord howe, which is best etc.

also i'm keen to do some rock and beach fishing for kings etc. where is the best spots?

all info and experiences would be appreciated.

cheers Alex :beersmile:

Way back in 1990, I won a trip to LHI, which included 4 days fishing on Capella. I was quite happy with the experience but I don't know if Capella still operates. (Capella was also a lodge). The trip was in September, just before my wedding (and my last real fishing trip alone :wife: ). We caught a lot of kingfish and lost some monsters. I noticed that the boat tended to return close to the reefs and Balls Pyramid, rather than go out wide but I was told that March is the time to go for the tuna and marlin etc.

I sometimes have contact with an island local through my work. I don't know whether he fishes but he would know everyone on the island, so I can give him a call when I get a chance and see if he knows which operator has the best rep.

Cheers,

Baz

Way back in 1990, I won a trip to LHI, which included 4 days fishing on Capella. I was quite happy with the experience but I don't know if Capella still operates. (Capella was also a lodge). The trip was in September, just before my wedding (and my last real fishing trip alone :wife: ). We caught a lot of kingfish and lost some monsters. I noticed that the boat tended to return close to the reefs and Balls Pyramid, rather than go out wide but I was told that March is the time to go for the tuna and marlin etc.

I sometimes have contact with an island local through my work. I don't know whether he fishes but he would know everyone on the island, so I can give him a call when I get a chance and see if he knows which operator has the best rep.

Cheers,

Baz

thanks for the info mate! tuna and marlin sounds great

If you get a chance pop down to Ned's beach in the afternoon. There is a local guy who feeds the fish every afternoon. I think it was 5.30pm when I ws there a few years ago. You will see monster kingies, and other huge fish swim around you feet. Can't fish that beach but it is an awesome experience seeing huge fish been hand fed. Some of the biggest fish that I have ever seen. We are talking kingies a metre long and over.

If you get a chance pop down to Ned's beach in the afternoon. There is a local guy who feeds the fish every afternoon. I think it was 5.30pm when I ws there a few years ago. You will see monster kingies, and other huge fish swim around you feet. Can't fish that beach but it is an awesome experience seeing huge fish been hand fed. Some of the biggest fish that I have ever seen. We are talking kingies a metre long and over.

looking forward to it i've seen you tube footage of it. just need the knowledge to intercept them before or after the feeding in a different spot.

also buying a heavy 8ft popping rod to fish the rocks with my home made "dynamite" poppers. :074: need some spots guys.

Edited by frangkie

Green back fishing charters are very professional, gear , saltigas ect , they troll for big wahoo massive kings ect , they dont call em greenback for nothing.

$150 half day they also run the bowling club and there specialty is yes you guessed it kingfish ,lol

Carina charters are top blokes with local knowlege they take u out to a reef and bounce the bottom for massive hoods , trevs , ect

Downfall is they only supply alveys ,unless trolling for marlin ect which they frequently hook up on.

you are garunteed big kings , trevs as long as you land em before the 8 foot plus sharks smash em ,than its all fun and games.

They cost $140 half day

Rock fishing

best spot (old gulch)

catch your bait from the main warf you cant miss it (garfish galore) and thumper drummer iff u like.

you can catch a small glass bottom punt around the side of the island and fish from the rocks there its 10 min walk through bush and rocks iff you take boat.

Its $12

Iff you dont catch the punt its like a 2 hour walk.

Cheers mate and good luck , not that youll be needing any luck

gidday

i've been to lhi a few times and by far the best fishing charter for kings etc is with a guy called jack schick. he has about a 30 foot plate boat excellent for fishing and has first class gear. he is also a guide who takes trips up mt gower and mt lidgberg. any local tour operator on the island can put u in touch. he also goes out in most weather, which lots of the others wont if the weather is a bit rough. mainly fishes balls pyramid.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...

can anyone give me any info on their experience with charter operators on lord howe, which is best etc.

also i'm keen to do some rock and beach fishing for kings etc. where is the best spots?

all info and experiences would be appreciated.

cheers Alex :beersmile:

Hi Alex

Have you been yet? I am off to Lord Howe on 9th April till 13th April. I have a charter booked for Friday 10th and possibly on 12th as well.Will post a report on return. Happy to Pm you any info.

Regards Kit

ps weather was atrocious recently :thumbdown: but it is is looking good for the Easter weekend :thumbup: