Kingies Or Dolphin Fish?

fishmaniac

Over the past few weeks I have spent some time chasing dolphin fish and kingfish and had success on both species, particularly dolphin fish.

The kingfish have increased in size on average, but it is still hard to get amongst some keepers. It certainly seems that the increasing number of people targeting the species within the harbour has led to them wisening up. They are not stupid (unlike bloody mutton birds.. more on that later) and have learnt to outsmart many anglers. On several occasions recently we have been the only boat to hookup to kings out of about 3 to 4 other boats fishing alongside us. We have been out late afternoon and usually manage a couple of fish. Quite interestingly we often catch two fish, one each as the school passes through before they shut down for the night. Still better than none.

post-6215-1236483596_thumb.jpg

As usual bream and trevally are abundant in numbers. We have been averaging about 5-15 keeper bream per outing and usually 3 or 4 trevally. I am more into the fishing for the sport and 90% of these potentially table bound fish make their way back to the depths, much to the dismay of neighbouring anglers.

I have also been out for dolphin fish, also known as mahi mahi. They are great fun and look spectacular. The great thing about this spcies is you can arrive at a spot and be on within minutes. If not, then move to the next. The instantaneous hookup nature while targeting them is the most exciting and their airial displays can be fantastic. We have also witnessed them free jumping, which is also a great sight. On 8lb spin gear they are reasonably good sport, especially larger specimins. However, the larger models have all been hooked exclusivily on livies. My personal best (out of a total of 3 outings) was caught yesterday pictured below:

post-6215-1236484073_thumb.jpg

On the way back in we downrigged a live squid around briefly for no hits, so after having our fun we decided to call it a day.

In conclusion I will have to say that catching kingfish is certainly more of a challenge and the fight has a lot more grunt, making each fish landed more rewarding.

All in all a good few weeks which will hopefully be similar for weeks to come.

Andrew

Thanks for a great report, but if you don't mind me asking, where have you been catching the dolphin fish? (no need to give away spot X) Offshore or Inshore? ... It's just that your boat looks relatively small (as is mine) and I always thought you had to travel a fair distance offshore to get amongst them (out to the FADS etc).

Cheers,

Geoff.

Thanks for a great report, but if you don't mind me asking, where have you been catching the dolphin fish? (no need to give away spot X) Offshore or Inshore? ... It's just that your boat looks relatively small (as is mine) and I always thought you had to travel a fair distance offshore to get amongst them (out to the FADS etc).

Cheers,

Geoff.

Was just thinking the same thing g.t, id be intrested to know aswell :1prop:

you'll get the Dollies at the Broken Bay Fad - 2 of us got 6 yesterday at the FAD drifting with unweighted pillies

I've had a few good mahi mahi runs this year, they're now getting to 60cm plus - legal size

Easy catching if you get out there early - as in 7am or so and they generally keep on the bit until around 9am or so, sometimes later

Livies are best if you can get em early and get to the FAD

Geoff,

I sent a PM to you with some more details.

It was certainly a big trip for my boat and we needed good conditions. We had all the appropriate safety equipment including a handheld radio.

Unfortunately it was a hard trip home as the SW'ly picked up, contrary to the forecasted NE'ly. We arrived back to a dead flat harbour though :wacko:

All in all a good experience and a good day out!

Andrew