City Fishing

SimJ

I'm fairly certain you can fish off Pier 2 at Dawes Point legally. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been recommended to me by a number of tackle shops as a good landbased spot for kings, if you can land them (it's quite high off the water).

Here's a YouTube vid of some bloke having a go at the kings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY0lUrSNRl8

Google Maps link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=h&z=16

And here's a screenshot of Google Maps with the end of Pier 2 circled:

post-8973-1237200125_thumb.jpg

If you want to give it a crack one time, I'll be up for a session - been meaning to for a while. :1fishing1:

Oh and regarding bait, I'm not sure. I'd berley hard and try for yakkas while there but take along some fresh dead bait too for backup.

Does anyone know if your allowed to fish off the big piers near the harbour bridge?

And is there anywhere to get bait around there?

Cheers guys,

Simmo

Edited by jamesds

I'm fairly certain you can fish off Pier 2 at Dawes Point legally. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been recommended to me by a number of tackle shops as a good landbased spot for kings, if you can land them (it's quite high off the water).

Here's a YouTube vid of some bloke having a go at the kings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY0lUrSNRl8

Google Maps link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=h&z=16

And here's a screenshot of Google Maps with the end of Pier 2 circled:

post-8973-1237200125_thumb.jpg

If you want to give it a crack one time, I'll be up for a session - been meaning to for a while. :1fishing1:

Oh and regarding bait, I'm not sure. I'd berley hard and try for yakkas while there but take along some fresh dead bait too for backup.

Thanks Jamesds thats the exact spot I meant :thumbup:

Also my reliable fishing mate has just gone overseas, so Ive been going out on my own lately :thumbdown:

which I realised means less fish and conversation! So PM me if your free sometime this week and ill happily hit up the harbour. (can bring tackle, drinks, smokes etc.)

Cheers,

Simmo

Hi Simmo,

I'm up for it!

During the week is tricky for me as I work up in Epping and that won't leave much daylight by the time I could get there (apparently it's a bit crappy at night as you'll mostly catch eels so I'm told).

Most Saturdays or Sundays are good for me. I could probably do it this weekend.

I'll PM you my number and we can sort something out. :1fishing1:

James.

Thanks Jamesds thats the exact spot I meant :thumbup:

Also my reliable fishing mate has just gone overseas, so Ive been going out on my own lately :thumbdown:

which I realised means less fish and conversation! So PM me if your free sometime this week and ill happily hit up the harbour. (can bring tackle, drinks, smokes etc.)

Cheers,

Simmo

Guys, if you are gonig to fish pier 2 make sure you get there reasonably early. The place is absolutely full of fisherman on weekends.... and also watch out for the parking inspectors, the parking around there becomes timed parking after 8 so remember to feed the meter after this time or it can be an expensive day...

Also if you are going to take more than one rod make sure you have a way to fix the rod to the wharf. When the kingies come past and start hitting your baits you want to make sure your rod doesnt go straight into the drink. A mate of mine lost 2 rods in 2 weeks...

Good luck with it

Thanks for the advice tumra.

I think the high is about 5:30am on Saturday - hopefully that's early enough :)

Regarding Rod holders, what structure is there to attach one to ? I was thinking of using a piece of plastic tubing and tying it off on something.

Thanks.

James.

Guys, if you are gonig to fish pier 2 make sure you get there reasonably early. The place is absolutely full of fisherman on weekends.... and also watch out for the parking inspectors, the parking around there becomes timed parking after 8 so remember to feed the meter after this time or it can be an expensive day...

Also if you are going to take more than one rod make sure you have a way to fix the rod to the wharf. When the kingies come past and start hitting your baits you want to make sure your rod doesnt go straight into the drink. A mate of mine lost 2 rods in 2 weeks...

Good luck with it

Check the fisheries web site. We're not technically supposed to eat anything caught west of the harbour bridge. I do occasionally, but I am not saying it's OK - everyone needs to be responsible for themselves.

Regarding Kings - I don't think they stick around in any one spot for very long. You'd have no idea where they've been feeding wherever you catch them in the harbour. One day it may have been in open ocean, the next day it could be swimming around Gladesville.

Personally, I'll eat a legal Kingie wherever I caught it unless it looked unhealthy of course. I'd take the gamble that most of the time it's not been feeding on baitfish that have themselves been feeding from dioxin-contaminated sea life, in the hope that the kingfish have 'safe' dioxin levels.

That's a personal choice and not advice. Take from that what you will :)

There's a page on the fisheries website somewhere that has a table of the relative dioxin content of different fish species versus location caught within the harbour. Essentially the closer to Homebush Bay you get the more dioxin content in the fish. And it varies dramatically by species too. I think the bottom feeding fish that feed off worms in the contaminated mud are worse off (such as bream).

Here is a link to one of the reports (PDF): http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour...nWb0bNOzazZfQ7Q

Some more info here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recrea.../sydney-closure

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consum...rramatta-River)

hey guys i was wondering are the kingies healtthy and all, like is it ok to eat them from that part of the harbour with pollution and all??

Edited by jamesds

When are you guys going there? I sometimes fish Blues Point on weekends but if you guys are planning to fish the Pier, I wouldnt mind joining.

Gday tevoro, of course anyone is welcome to join us :thumbup:

We are probably going to be heading out this weekend. PM me or James ur number and we will msg u the details.

Hope to see u there,

Simmo

Yeah, the more the merrier.

Taking tumra's advice about getting there early, and the fact the high tide on Saturday morning is at 5am, I think that's what time we should aim for. We can sleep later :)

Simmo/Tevoro : you guys up for a 5am sesh on Saturday or is that too early?

Gday tevoro, of course anyone is welcome to join us :thumbup:

We are probably going to be heading out this weekend. PM me or James ur number and we will msg u the details.

Hope to see u there,

Simmo

If you want yakkas they are generally availabe under the wharf there, walk about half way along and berly hard, try different depths as they can be tricky, use chicken, pork or beef raw, but the size can vary, have caught yakkas over 30 cm long there.

No worries Cameron :thumbup: hope to see u down there, come say hi when u get there.

Andrewau, I was there at 3.00pm yesterday. It seemed unweighted pilchard and squid worked best but only big breams were caught no kingies.

Some guy was there for about 2 hours and caught 8 blackfish all over 35cm and gave them all away. So i am DEIFINITELY bringing a quill float and some weed on Saturday.

Cheers,

Simmo

Ah, now I'm excited :) I'll quite happily consider big bream and blackfish an acceptable by catch!

See you tomorrow!

No worries Cameron :thumbup: hope to see u down there, come say hi when u get there.

Andrewau, I was there at 3.00pm yesterday. It seemed unweighted pilchard and squid worked best but only big breams were caught no kingies.

Some guy was there for about 2 hours and caught 8 blackfish all over 35cm and gave them all away. So i am DEIFINITELY bringing a quill float and some weed on Saturday.

Cheers,

Simmo

I might come and joing you guys, will see how birchgrove treats me this evening.

Come down to louisa road tonight if you want James as I see you are a balmain local. You could catch some bait for tomorrow if the city doesn't produce and you don't mind dead but FRESH stuff. Almost always guaranteed there.

Dom

Hi Dom,

I'd like to come tonight, but I've got some other commitments. Good luck with your bait catching and hopefully see you tomorrow.

:1fishing1:

James.

I might come and joing you guys, will see how birchgrove treats me this evening.

Come down to louisa road tonight if you want James as I see you are a balmain local. You could catch some bait for tomorrow if the city doesn't produce and you don't mind dead but FRESH stuff. Almost always guaranteed there.

Dom

If we're using live baits (depends if we get any) then I expect we'll use some weight to stop them swimming back into the structure and creating a horrible tangly mess.

If we fish them on the bottom, then a lot more weight. I expect we'll try a few things and see how it goes.

how would you fish this spot ?

would you throw the yakka/slimey/squid strip out unweighted

or will you throw it out under a float - if so how deep?

or throw it out with a small weight ?

cheers

All the best boys. I dropped by Pier 2 after work today for a look see. (Never fished there before)

There was already heaps of people there fishing. Some guy caught a decent flathead (at least 40 cm) and a legal sized bream. Seems its a good place to spend the afternoon too.