Transducer Adjustment

Bruce the Postie

G'day all,

I have just installed my new Lowrance fishfinder and took it for a test run on the w/e.

I am very happy with the quality of the information displayed when at rest or drifting , but once i travel over about 20kmh , the unit seems to loose bottom.

Now i know that the transducer can be too low ,or too high and small adjustments can make a big difference, but which way to go first ?. I have included a couple of pics that might help.

post-5510-1237185803_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1237185828_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1237185777_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

Your transducer seems to be properly mounted from the photos. Perhaps leaning slightly to the right in the last photo. But if you reported it working correctly at first then it probably is mounted level. Try adjusting the range - my finder looses bottom if i have it set to say 5 mtrs range and i drift into 10mtrs of water.

Hope this helps. Bearing in mind I am relatively new to fish finders also.

Mike

Gday Mate,

I used to have a lowarance combo unit with a simialr transducer. When I first mounted it I was having similar problems.

I fixed it by adjusting the angle of the transducer so that the back of it was just slightly higher than the front so that when you are at speed, on the plane, the transducer is sitting more level to the bottom and not in a forward angle .

Its just a matter of trial and error until you get it right.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Balmain Bob

Thanks for the input guys, I'll start with dropping the toe end of the transducer to start with,but like you say,it's a matter of trial and error.

Forgot to mention that it is throwing up a bit of a rooster tail at speed, does this suggest that it might be a bit too low.

Cheers,

Thanks for the input guys, I'll start with dropping the toe end of the transducer to start with,but like you say,it's a matter of trial and error.

Forgot to mention that it is throwing up a bit of a rooster tail at speed, does this suggest that it might be a bit too low.

Cheers,

FYI This is what i did to allow the Furuno to read better at speed, works to about 30kmh then you start to lose detail. I have just lowered the Transducer further.

post-4477-1237281396_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1237281414_thumb.jpg

i dont really like the look of hull edge which the transducer is behind ,can u put a pic up of the entire transom from behind ,my lowrance reads pretty good up to about 60kmh,but the signature with the vdh hull gives you a nice staight edge on both sides to put the transducer behind for good clean water.at a guess id say turbulence from the hull.

craig.

G'day Frantic ,

Here's a couple of pics of the transom if it's any help.

Funny thing is my old Liarbird transducer was in pretty much the same spot, and it would hold bottom at any speed, it was a cruddy old sounder, it would hold bottom,but wasn't much good for anything else.

post-5510-1237358401_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1237358430_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bruce. :beersmile: