Spit/canoe/kings Report

kingiemaster

Went out int he canoe for my now habitual weekend Kingfish session on Saturday morning.

With the Spit producing good Kings over the past few weeks and an incoming tide I decided I would continue to concentrate my efforts around the Spit rather than paddling here there and everywhere (with a load of at least 60 kg plus the canoe @ 40 kg and me @75 kg).

Found the squid hard going from the around the bridge depsite other boats pulling them in less than a few metres away. I think it had to with using my fav maroon and white jig in the murkier than usual water at low tide rather than the more popular fluro pink or orange. But I did manage a perfect bait sized calamari squid. Couple of hours later I got six arrows an less than 30 minutes in the deeper water as the sun came up.

So no probs with getting squid (that makes 140 this season) but it turned out to be very quiet on the Kingie front. Despite perfect conditions and the incoming tide I ended up towing squid all over the joint for three hours try to find them for zip. Other boats I spoke to didn't have anything to report either.

I put it down to being just after the full moon as I have had similar experiences in the past. Has anyone else experienced this with Kings/full moon or is it just another myth to make us feel better about having a dud day? Eitherway I'm going to go back through all my records to closely to see if there is a pattern and possibly avoid fishing for kings on or just after full moon.

That said some guys fishing from the shore landed what seemed to be a rat king (might have been a salmon, hard tell from a distance) so go figure? :wacko:

All is not lost as this weekend is shaping up to be a cracker so will give it another go.

Dave