Poddies

hookmeup

What is the best way to catch poddies for flathead baits, I have tried the old 2lt bottle with end cut off & turned around full off bread, had heaps of them swarming around but they wouldn't go in :1badmood: Also is it legal to catch them for bait ?? are bought traps better than the old bottle??

Try the clear perspex ones from any tacklo.

Also..do a search (above) for Poddy Mullet on Fishraider and you'll see it pops up regularly.

This thread discusses it recently.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks Pete, think I will just buy one.

dont buy the mesh collapsable ones though because they are rubbish! iv never caught a poddy in one despite leaving it in poddy infested waterways for 2 days! The ones you make yourself with the clear bottles is a good way, have never tried the clear perspex ones bt would probs be the same. I catch most of mine with a bit of bread under a small float on a size 14 mosquito hook...

if only cast nets were legal!!...

I totally agree. I use a 2ltr milk bottle with a hole in the top. Sprinkle some burley in the bottom.

thanks for all your replies guys, I completely agree with the last 2 ie flatish container with hole in top.

I went to one of the good old "2 dollar shops" you know the ones that sell things from $1- to $10 ( never quite understood how this makes it a $2 shop) anyway, invested $2 in a square tupperware container, cut approx 2'' hole in top, breadcrumbs in bottom with sand & hey presto, they loved it, reached 20 quota in about 5 minutes,STOKED !!! this may bore some but, primed with the gun flathead bait off I went to my special spot, however, disaster struck...... my super strong bucket obviously was tainted with whatever it had previously had in it, and arriving at my spot ready to go , take towel off & 20 dead poddies :wacko::wacko::thumbdown::( ahh well, lesson learned.... LIVE BAIT = good clean bucket or otherwise fresh dead bait. At least poddie catching riddle solved !!! thanks for all input.

I always change the water a couple of times in the first few hours after I catch them. They empty their guts into the water when stressed and it makes the water really dirty really quickly. I use the larger style telescope perspex trap and have a second trap I made a box from sheets of perspex with a hinged lid on top. Sometimes they go in the cylinder trap (horizontal) sometimes they go in the box (hole in top). PS it's only legal to have one trap out at a time, so I always collect bait with a mate. Other things I have tried is using fly screen ove rthe top of a plastic box, used velcro to hold the fly screen in place, and sewed pockets on the inside of the screen to hold pieces of bread in place. Even still, some days for whatever reason the little beggers are out to p..s me off and won't go in. then i go home grumpy.

Edited by GarryL

thanks for all your replies guys, I completely agree with the last 2 ie flatish container with hole in top.

I went to one of the good old "2 dollar shops" you know the ones that sell things from $1- to $10 ( never quite understood how this makes it a $2 shop) anyway, invested $2 in a square tupperware container, cut approx 2'' hole in top, breadcrumbs in bottom with sand & hey presto, they loved it, reached 20 quota in about 5 minutes,STOKED !!! this may bore some but, primed with the gun flathead bait off I went to my special spot, however, disaster struck...... my super strong bucket obviously was tainted with whatever it had previously had in it, and arriving at my spot ready to go , take towel off & 20 dead poddies :wacko::wacko::thumbdown::( ahh well, lesson learned.... LIVE BAIT = good clean bucket or otherwise fresh dead bait. At least poddie catching riddle solved !!! thanks for all input.

Hello Hookmeup:

20 poddies in a bucket is a lot without an aerator - 15 - 20 minutes and all oxygen gone