Where Are The Spots?

fisho.sid

Hi All,

Hoping you fellow fishos out there could help.

I have recently bought a sounder for my boat and would like some tips to finding fish. Knowing that all fishos dont reveal their spots - i thought at least some pointers in using the pointer may help.

I have heard lots of stories with regards to kingies, jews, structures, live squid, yakkas and tides.

After nailing the art of catching squid, yakkas - ( no down riggers yet), HOW can i find a good spot?

If anyone out there could help with a GPS co-ordinate - that would be awesome, though any pointers in terms of what to look for on the sounder would be great.

G'day fisho.sid,

Learing how to use your sounder well will help you increase your catches heaps. There's no substitute for experience but you can get a huge head start if you get hold of either the book or DVD by Rick Huckstepp called "Depth Sounder Secrets".

It covers all the most important stuff to help you understand what you're seeing on your screen and how to get the best out of your sounder. It's simple, clear and user friendly... not like some of the techno babble that can make your head hurt but not give you much in the way of practical guidance.

Pete at Go Fish usually seems to have copies in his store and they're not expensive at all so give them a ring.

After you've got a hold of a copy and had a good look at it, just spend time driving your boat around looking at your sounder and getting used to interpreting what it's telling you.

Cheers, Slinky

I agree with Slinky - learn to use your sounder properly. There is also a DVD put out by Rick Huckstepp on using your sounder - can't comment on whether it is better than the book. I would also get the AFN book on fishing Sydney and the Hawkesbury. Even if the locations shown are not spot on at least it will put you in the area . Read the descriptions of why a particular spot is recommended for a particular species and look at what your sounder is telling you. After a while you should be able to use your sounder to find your own spots as you'll know what to look for.

Rob

Hi All,

Hoping you fellow fishos out there could help.

I have recently bought a sounder for my boat and would like some tips to finding fish. Knowing that all fishos dont reveal their spots - i thought at least some pointers in using the pointer may help.

I have heard lots of stories with regards to kingies, jews, structures, live squid, yakkas and tides.

After nailing the art of catching squid, yakkas - ( no down riggers yet), HOW can i find a good spot?

If anyone out there could help with a GPS co-ordinate - that would be awesome, though any pointers in terms of what to look for on the sounder would be great.

Hey guys thanks for the advice!

ill let you guys knwo how i go.

Oh the squid under the Spit Bridge has been going off - been there for 3 nights this week and managed to get about 9 in total, plenty of smaller ones but they get spooked with the lures.

Well wish me luck - goin to pittwater Sat morning for hoodlums

:tease::beersmile: