Rod/reel Swimming With The Fishes

Wantingaboat

As you may have read i lost my favourite bream rod today and need a replacement. I want to spend about $500 and hope that will get me some 6 pound braid on it too. Any suggestions? I have heard that the daiwa sol is a good reel but i have always been a shimano man but happy if anyone can steer me in the right direction. I will use it for chasing bream, flathead and for squid as well.

Here's a couple for you to consider mate:

Daiwa Advantage 7' 2-4kg Rod matched to 2000 Advantage reel

Daiwa SOL 7' 2-4kg Rod matched to 2000 SOL reel

Shimano TCurve Tournament 6'9" or 6'6" spin matched to Stradic or Symetre in 2500

I have the 3 outfits highlighted in red and am very happy with them. Ideally, a 7' rod in 1-3kg or 2-4kg with a good 2000/2500 reel will serve the purpose you mentioned very well.

Hope this helps mate. Happy shopping

Hodgey

I too was once a Shimano man until Hodgey showed me his TD Sol. Since then I've converted.

The Daiwas are no better than the equivalent Shimano performance wise IMHO but I just like the feel of them a lot more... it's not something I can measure just a gut and hand reaction thing.

I have a Sol 2000 and a Luvias 2000... both lovely reels.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Hodgey and Slinky,

I had a look on our sponsers website and the sol 2000 seems to retail for about $340 which only leave me $160 for the rod as i want to try and limit it to $500 (i think i should get something decent for that i hope). I am not sure whether i should be trying to match up quality of rod/reel or better reel/crappier rod is best. Any ideas?

Slinky i have never held a sol but i am already feeling good vibes from them.

Thanks. Mike.

HI Mate,

Another option is to check out the TD Advantage rod and reels, they are on grade below the Sol, but still is a very nice combo and might just fit in with the $500 budget. I have the TDA 4000 and the 10-17lb stick, I use this for throwing large stick baits and float bait fishing.

Just food for thought.

Cheers,

SZ1

g'day mike,

i'll vouch for the sol too mate... beautiful reel... i agree with Slinky, heaps smooth reel...!

i'd recommend getting a decent reel, and maybe a cheaper rod?! however, you can get a pretty decent rod for $160 that will do the job nicely... im sure Pete at Go Fish can sort you out..

good luck man... let us know what you end up with!

cheers mate

kiro

hey mate i have a sol 2000 on a 4-8lb daiwa advantage rod looks good feels good and it cost me around about what you want to spend spooled up with braid. i paid 270 for the sol and around 200 for the rod, hope this helps.

The SOL's are a nice reel you will be happy with that outfit. :thumbup:

Been looking at a SOL 2500 for my Loomis DSR820S gotta come by a bit more walking around money though.

Missus is off to Japan next month, :wife: not game to tell her how much i'd like to spend on a new reel, so I will have to get it here.

Edited by Austwave