Rigging Poddies

diver1

quick question, what size hook to put threw a poddie when drifting for flathead (with the option of a jew hopefully) and what size sinker if any?

Diver there's a new lightweight wire hook out by mustard that has excellent strength and is deadly in sharpness...... This wire hook is a cross between an old kale hook and a wide gape and is shaped well for live bait..... They are available from no2s I think to 4/0s and would be ideal for delicate baitfish like small poddy mullet and herring which have been in abundance this year... Running sinker size to a bead should be just enough to grab and slightly impede the action of a small baitfish taking line thru it, and I think it's best to have the drag free enough to allow the fish to move a bit of drag occasionally as there is always side to side play in the line between the rod tip and the baitfish.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

2/0 wide gape hooks are absolute crackers. If you have poddies that are over six inches go up to a 3/0. If you can find wide gape hooks with a little bit of length in them they keep the nasty part of the flatty well away from the line.

I disagree a bit with Jewgaffer on the drag. I reckon you should get flathead into the boat as quick as possible. If you are using poddies there is no need to have 2 or 4lb line as you dont need the casting length so they will rarely bust you off through undue pressure on your line but they will quite often chew through the leader.

Dave

2/0 wide gape hooks are absolute crackers. If you have poddies that are over six inches go up to a 3/0. If you can find wide gape hooks with a little bit of length in them they keep the nasty part of the flatty well away from the line.

I disagree a bit with Jewgaffer on the drag. I reckon you should get flathead into the boat as quick as possible.

Dave

You've jumped in front of the pace here and struck a bit too early Dave :D Best read my reply to Diver1 again mate .....

Here is the relevent paragraph in my reply to Diver1 ......."Running sinker size to a bead should be just enough to grab and slightly impede the action of a small baitfish taking line thru it, and I think it's best to have the drag free enough to allow the fish to move a bit of drag occasionally as there is always side to side play in the line between the rod tip and the baitfish".

I'm still in the lounge room letting the livie run from side to side and struggle a bit and allowing it to occasionally pull a bit of drag... I haven't quite hooked up the flathead at this stage but give me four minutes to check the livie, and it looks like Ill need an umbrella to do that as it's about to rain cats and dogs :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

And just to make it interesting, I have a different preference again... try a 3/0 Black Magic KL circle thru the nose. Drift with the reel in gear on normal drag. Just don't strike... let the fish hook itself.

I use the same basic rig for 90% of my livebaiting... just changing the hook size, sinker and outfit to suit the bait, location and target.

Often you'll find there are lots of ways to 'skin a cat' so maybe try the different rigs/methods and see what works for you. Whatever you're confident in and catches you fish is fine. Note though that the hooks recommended are all relatively fine and small... match your hook to your bait otherwise they won't survive long.

Cheers, Slinky

Hello Diver 1,

Hook up through the lip and out the top small plate area. I use to use the Khale wide gaps as they are thin and perfect for the wide flattie mouth, but have gone back to a thicker octopus type, because I have had some instances of broken hooks as they are very thin, but I would think this could be overcome by checking on them regularly.

I find the octopus hooks work well esp for larger poddies. I use VERY light sinker, just enough to impede the poddie (as said in prev posts).

As for drag, I have a lightish drag and lock it up depending on size of fish. I like to let them run and use a strike technique otherwise they can spit bait out. All this said I must admit the highest hook up rate for me is an unattended rod in a rod holder.

If I have only got small ones I have started rigging them through the tail. They swim great and last longer.

I'm still in the lounge room letting the livie run from side to side and struggle a bit and allowing it to occasionally pull a bit of drag... I haven't quite hooked up the flathead at this stage but give me four minutes to check the livie, and it looks like Ill need an umbrella to do that as it's about to rain cats and dogs

If it keeps raining like this Byron you may have freshwater Catfish swimming over the front step.

I agree with the common theme here. Wide Gap (Khale) hook in size depending on the size of the poddy, normally 1/0 to 3/0. I even hook 2 smaller poddies on some times, also occasionally through the eyes. Leader of 1.5m long. Size 2 bean sinker (I can't be bothered changing size when the tide slows down / speeds up.) I also fish a bit too heavy. 10kg braid with a 10kg leader, on larger poddies. I put on a lighter, longer leader when the poddies are smaller. I was fishing with the same rig and yakkas a couple of weeks ago and picked up my first jewie 80cm long (yeee haaaa). Oh, and I have found the red Mustad hooks the best. They are thinner than the other wide gap hooks I have bought and the poddies stay alive longer. haven't broken one yet. Always hook the bait through both lips coming up. If you hook through the tail you'll drown the poor little beggers. I think hooking through the tail would be a good idea with a bait under a flot going for tailor or surface fish that attack the tail of the bait. Flatties seem to hit the head.Most of the time I get the flatties hooked through the lip with the wide gap hooks meaning they aren't a risk of chewing through the leader. I'm keep to try out the otehr tip I read recently about keeping them under when netting them so they don't shake their head, especially if they are gut hooked.

I agree with the common theme here. Wide Gap (Khale) hook in size depending on the size of the poddy, normally 1/0 to 3/0. I even hook 2 smaller poddies on some times, also occasionally through the eyes. Leader of 1.5m long. Size 2 bean sinker (I can't be bothered changing size when the tide slows down / speeds up.) I also fish a bit too heavy. 10kg braid with a 10kg leader, on larger poddies. I put on a lighter, longer leader when the poddies are smaller. I was fishing with the same rig and yakkas a couple of weeks ago and picked up my first jewie 80cm long (yeee haaaa). Oh, and I have found the red Mustad hooks the best. They are thinner than the other wide gap hooks I have bought and the poddies stay alive longer. haven't broken one yet. Always hook the bait through both lips coming up. If you hook through the tail you'll drown the poor little beggers. I think hooking through the tail would be a good idea with a bait under a flot going for tailor or surface fish that attack the tail of the bait. Flatties seem to hit the head.Most of the time I get the flatties hooked through the lip with the wide gap hooks meaning they aren't a risk of chewing through the leader. I'm keep to try out the otehr tip I read recently about keeping them under when netting them so they don't shake their head, especially if they are gut hooked.

Keeping their head underwater is a good strategy.....headshakes only happen on the surface