Major Upgrade Of Current Gear - Looking For Recommendations

selous

Hi raiders

I am taking advantage of the cheap Qantas deals and taking the family to the USA for a couple of weeks from next week. While there, I thought it might be a good chance to upgrade my gear so I could get more bang for my buck. Most of my current gear is fairly light and suited to land based estuary fishing, flicking soft plastics or beach work, which is what I've been doing until now. However, I have just bought a boat (5.3m Mako Max Frenzy dual console) and am fitting that out at present. I intend to get my electronics while in the states to complete the fitout, So I'll be on the water by mid May.

I have fitted 2 Cannon manual downriggers and will be chasing Kingies and pelagics, and fishing outside for Snapper as well as in the harbour. I want to cover my bases so I can down rig, jig, bottom bash as conditions and location dictate

I have the following rods which are suitable for heavier work:

6' 6" Shimano Catana Snapper 701H 10-15kg

6' Shimano Matchline 6-10kg

6' Strudwick Bluewater 10-15kg

6' Strudwick Bluewater 25-37kg 300-500gm

I also have an ebay special that cost me next to nothing - a Pelagic 5'6" rollered overhead game rod 15-24kg. It is probably junk, but I don't know as I have never used it. Do I need an overhead as all my other rods are for eggbeaters?

I am looking for suitable reels to match the spinning rods - I don't know that it is worth chucking a half decent reel on the overhead. I have looked at the Shimanos and am confused at the differences between the different models. Budget-wise I am prepared to spend what I need to spend, but is a Stella really worth the bucks compared to a Saragosa or a twin power? I am trying to nail down my selection so that I know exactly what I am after before I walk in a store and know what the prices are in Australia. From my research so far, some things are no bargain at all in the states and other things can save a packet. If the price difference is not that great, I'll buy here, but I know with the sounders I can save around 40% for example.

Apart from the reels, is there any other tackle I should be looking for in the states while I'm there that would be cheaper there? I will be in Las Vegas for a week and there is a particular store (B***Pro) which I will be visiting that has been described as "Disneyland for rednecks" 165000 sq ft of fishing, boating, hunting etc. so I imagine there will be something for me to spend a dollar on.

Cheers

Rob

Hi selous As you would be aware, the buying power of the Australian dollar is low in the States at the moment, and shipping to The U.S. from the Asian suppliers would be more costly, I imagine to send to the U.S. than to Australia .....It seems imported reels cost more unless you can can find highly discounted specials in the shops over there......

It may pay to get a list of our discount prices from Go Fish Pete particularly if you are considering buying a quantity of items and especially a number of decent quality reels...... A friend of mine, Cungee George on FR and his brother went thru the excersize quite recently of comparing prices for buying good medium priced spinning reels from the States, reels such as such as Shimano bait runners, Penns, Phluegers and Ticas with the prices of reels over here which come from the same source.... Not withstanding the cost of air freight to Australia, my friends found the prices to be better over here for the same reels, including Penn 850ssm's suppplied in a combo with a matching 7' Penn rod as well, and also there are less warranty problems if you buy over here......

I have one of the medium size U.S. made Fin Nor spinning reels and a Fin Nor might be worth looking at and comparing prices...... Also I have two Fenwick and Quarrow convertible fly spin rods that are still current and are available for around $80 U.S.....My son says these rods are much better rods than any of his sp spinning rods.... For some reason rods are much cheaper in the States than over here but the trouble with rods is bringing them back on the plane with you....

It might pay to have a look at the smaller items....Items like boxes of Eagle Claw hooks, the top name spectre braids like Ande, Power Pro and Tuff Line, fluro leader, downrigger clips, ball bearing swivels, U.S. made quality fishing clothing, hats etc, as apparently such items and other quality handy fishing accessories are cheaper to buy in the States.

Let's know how you found the prices of fishing items when you get back ... By the way although Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert, there is a place where my son was taken to where there are plenty of huge fish to catch when he was over there in the Australian team in a 8 & 9 ball pool competion ...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Isn't it still the case that reels imported into Australia attract a substantial import duty? The dollar exchange rate will apply to imports just as it does if you buy it yourself while overseas (bearing in mind that this fluctuates on a daily basis).

Hi selous As you would be aware, the buying power of the Australian dollar is low in the States at the moment, and shipping to The U.S. from the Asian suppliers would be more costly, I imagine to send to the U.S. than to Australia .....It seems imported reels cost more unless you can can find highly discounted specials in the shops over there......

It may pay to get a list of our discount prices from Go Fish Pete particularly if you are considering buying a quantity of items and especially a number of decent quality reels...... A friend of mine, Cungee George on FR and his brother went thru the excersize quite recently of comparing prices for buying good medium priced spinning reels from the States, reels such as such as Shimano bait runners, Penns, Phluegers and Ticas with the prices of reels over here which come from the same source.... Not withstanding the cost of air freight to Australia, my friends found the prices to be better over here for the same reels, including Penn 850ssm's suppplied in a combo with a matching 7' Penn rod as well, and also there are less warranty problems if you buy over here......

I have one of the medium size U.S. made Fin Nor spinning reels and a Fin Nor might be worth looking at and comparing prices...... Also I have two Fenwick and Quarrow convertible fly spin rods that are still current and are available for around $80 U.S.....My son says these rods are much better rods than any of his sp spinning rods.... For some reason rods are much cheaper in the States than over here but the trouble with rods is bringing them back on the plane with you....

It might pay to have a look at the smaller items....Items like boxes of Eagle Claw hooks, the top name spectre braids like Ande, Power Pro and Tuff Line, fluro leader, downrigger clips, ball bearing swivels, U.S. made quality fishing clothing, hats etc, as apparently such items and other quality handy fishing accessories are cheaper to buy in the States.

Let's know how you found the prices of fishing items when you get back ... By the way although Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert, there is a place where my son was taken to where there are plenty of huge fish to catch when he was over there in the Australian team in a 8 & 9 ball pool competion ...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer, I hear you. I have done some comparing and it seems that reels are more expensive there than here. Looking at some of the Shimanos I have come to the conclusion that I'm better of buying here. However, as I mentioned in my original post, sounders and chartplotters are substantially cheaper in the US than here. I am currently leaning towards the Lowrance HDS 5x for the front casting deck and an HDS-8m for the console. From what I've read, the 8m will function as a combo unit when networked with a sounder.

Downrigger accessories are definitely something I will look at - the Cannon terminal kit for example has a RRP here of around $100. I think I saw it for around $27 there.

Cheers

Rob

Having just cameback from Japan I can attest that unless a special is on you will find most of the expensive gear (reels and rods) will line ball with australia. I agree with Jewgaffer to give Go Fish Pete a call and aim to get smaller items that are made in the US whilst over there.

BTW I did get a heap of Yamashita and Yo-zuris whilst in Japan which have been killers for the Squid, but I left the big purchases for here as I tend to break things and like the warranty.