Help Deciding B/w New Reel

nic_ally_king

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone could shed some light on their preference b/w getting a penn spinfisher 750ssm vs a shimano symetre 4000.

I've got a 3000 symetre and love it but i've never used a spinfisher.. but have always liked the idea of them, particularly the waterproof(ish) drag. I know the penns are prob not quite what they used to be.. or so they say.

It's for a starlo stix 4-8kg. Used for kings and throwing lures at pelagics mainly.

Cheers,

Nic

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone could shed some light on their preference b/w getting a penn spinfisher 750ssm vs a shimano symetre 4000.

I've got a 3000 symetre and love it but i've never used a spinfisher.. but have always liked the idea of them, particularly the waterproof(ish) drag. I know the penns are prob not quite what they used to be.. or so they say.

It's for a starlo stix 4-8kg. Used for kings and throwing lures at pelagics mainly.

Cheers,

Nic

Sorry i think i've just answered my own Q's. Didn't realised the size of the ssm's. In that case can anyone compare it too a similar sized spinfisher ssg??

Penn have a smaller series which is like the little brother of the spinfishers called the Slammer, very similar is design and structure, tough reel that will cop a beating, i'd say the symmetre will probably feel a bit better and be nicer for casting plastics etc.. as well as handle decent fish whereas id say the slammer would be better for bait fishing and able to put it to some serious fish.

Josh

The 650 is the smallest spinfisher these days (I think... you could get a Slammer in a smaller size)... I've got one and had a Symetre 4000. They're totally different reels and the Shimano is much better suited to that rod for pelagic spinning. The Spinfisher is too heavy and too big.

If you want to check out a Penn alternative, I'd suggest you have a look at a Penn Applause.

If by pelagics you mean Sambos and bay kings, either the Applause or Symetre would do you well in that price range. (my Symetre caught heaps of big tropical pelagics including Longtail Tuna up to about 12kg).

If you're after more serious fish then I'd go up a class and price bracket in reel to something like a Stradic if you can, which is substantially more rugged (my Symetre also came home from a week in Cape York needing a rebuild, which it got and which returned it to it's former mechanical glory, and with a broken reel foot from those same fish)

Cheers, Slinky

The 650 is the smallest spinfisher these days (I think... you could get a Slammer in a smaller size)... I've got one and had a Symetre 4000. They're totally different reels and the Shimano is much better suited to that rod for pelagic spinning. The Spinfisher is too heavy and too big.

If you want to check out a Penn alternative, I'd suggest you have a look at a Penn Applause.

If by pelagics you mean Sambos and bay kings, either the Applause or Symetre would do you well in that price range. (my Symetre caught heaps of big tropical pelagics including Longtail Tuna up to about 12kg).

If you're after more serious fish then I'd go up a class and price bracket in reel to something like a Stradic if you can, which is substantially more rugged (my Symetre also came home from a week in Cape York needing a rebuild, which it got and which returned it to it's former mechanical glory, and with a broken reel foot from those same fish)

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Slinky.. Yeh I had a 4000 stradic, loved it (the older model) but I love this 3000 symetre I have now and I've recently spent a fair slab of cash on the boat aswell as bigger overhead stuff (went out wide of browns yesterday got up 2 marlin and a heap of stripeys awesome day now i'm paying for it - forgot hat, sunscreen and sunnies!). Actually just missed out on an awesome deal for 4000stradic so I think i'll go the symetre - my 3000 nicely landed a 8kg king a few wks ago so im very happy with them.

Appreciate the advice mate.

Nic

Penn have a smaller series which is like the little brother of the spinfishers called the Slammer, very similar is design and structure, tough reel that will cop a beating, i'd say the symmetre will probably feel a bit better and be nicer for casting plastics etc.. as well as handle decent fish whereas id say the slammer would be better for bait fishing and able to put it to some serious fish.

Josh

Thanks Josh. Yeh i wondered why I couldn't seem to find the ssg's here.

Agrred with all yo saying on the symetre thanks mate.

Nic