Easter Weekend Mixed Bag (botany Bay)

cheezndave

EASTER SATURDAY 11/04/09

Got a late phonecall from the father-in-law 9.30am Saturday morning asking me to go out for a fish.

Hour and a half later we were on the water (Botany Bay).

Headed straight for the live bait spot, and within 1/2 hour, we had a dozen or so yakkas.

Target species for the day were kingy's and snapper.

1st hit was the father-in-laws baitrunner 6500. After locking it into gear the hook pulled and the fish was gone. Unfortunately the drag was set to tight. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

2nd hit was the father-in-laws baitrunner 6500 AGAIN. After a minor fight, a rat king was pulled onboard. The ruler read 60cm so back she went.

3rd hit and finally my shimano charter special starts screaming the famous zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Initially the kingy must have stripped 100-150m of line before he tired. After a short fight a fat healthy king surfaces. Got him onboard and the ruler read 66cm. Finally one for the dinner table.

post-9004-1239667875_thumb.jpg

Overall it wasnt a bad day. Finished up with 1 kingy, 1 flatty, 4 snapper, and 3 trevally.

post-9004-1239667902_thumb.jpg

EASTER MONDAY 13/04/09

Organised to go out early with my mate James who was in search of the holy grail, his first kingfish.

Hit the live bait grounds 1st in search of some yakkas. Whilst i was doing all the prep work. James was busy with his new estuary combo trying to land a snapper or two.

I managed to pull in 1/2 dozen yakkas and James was lucky enough to land a 36cm snapper and a good size trevally.

Finally James let me relocate the boat to deeper water (kingy territory) and we sent the yakkas down and kept fishing for spapper.

After about an hour, James' kingy combo buckles and the rod starts screaming. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The guy was that excited that he starts high fiveing me before he's even pulled the fish in.

I said "relax, just back the drag off and take it easy". Thankfully he listened to me and after a lengthy fight, he lands his first kingfish. Straight onto the ruler and smack bang on 65cm. He was over the moon.

post-9004-1239667933_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately there were no more kingy hits but we still still managed to land a good mixed bag of snapper & trevally.

post-9004-1239667924_thumb.jpg

Overall i was happy with the fishing over the weekend. Good to see some legal snapper in the bay.

Regards,

Dave

Awesome result from inside the bay Dave - a really top couple of days fishing. I reckon most raiders wish they could consistently get those sort of results.

Can I ask how you fished for the snapper? Were you using cut yellowtail or do you have a different preferred bait?

Awesome result from inside the bay Dave - a really top couple of days fishing. I reckon most raiders wish they could consistently get those sort of results.

Can I ask how you fished for the snapper? Were you using cut yellowtail or do you have a different preferred bait?

Hey mate,

Thanks for the compliment. To be honest, i fished all through summer in the same vicinity and struggled to match the catch which was achieved on the weekend.

All the snapper were caught using pilchards, and the trevally prefered the prawns.

Yellowtail are reserved for the kingy's.

Dave

Hey mate,

Thanks for the compliment. To be honest, i fished all through summer in the same vicinity and struggled to match the catch which was achieved on the weekend.

All the snapper were caught using pilchards, and the trevally prefered the prawns.

Yellowtail are reserved for the kingy's.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Where abouts did you get the yakkas? Any help is appreciated.

The last few attempts had me luckless with the yakkas but instead heaps of undersized trevs.

Cheers,

Jeff

EASTER SATURDAY 11/04/09

Got a late phonecall from the father-in-law 9.30am Saturday morning asking me to go out for a fish.

Hour and a half later we were on the water (Botany Bay).

Headed straight for the live bait spot, and within 1/2 hour, we had a dozen or so yakkas.

Target species for the day were kingy's and snapper.

1st hit was the father-in-laws baitrunner 6500. After locking it into gear the hook pulled and the fish was gone. Unfortunately the drag was set to tight. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

2nd hit was the father-in-laws baitrunner 6500 AGAIN. After a minor fight, a rat king was pulled onboard. The ruler read 60cm so back she went.

3rd hit and finally my shimano charter special starts screaming the famous zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Initially the kingy must have stripped 100-150m of line before he tired. After a short fight a fat healthy king surfaces. Got him onboard and the ruler read 66cm. Finally one for the dinner table.

post-9004-1239667875_thumb.jpg

Overall it wasnt a bad day. Finished up with 1 kingy, 1 flatty, 4 snapper, and 3 trevally.

post-9004-1239667902_thumb.jpg

EASTER MONDAY 13/04/09

Organised to go out early with my mate James who was in search of the holy grail, his first kingfish.

Hit the live bait grounds 1st in search of some yakkas. Whilst i was doing all the prep work. James was busy with his new estuary combo trying to land a snapper or two.

I managed to pull in 1/2 dozen yakkas and James was lucky enough to land a 36cm snapper and a good size trevally.

Finally James let me relocate the boat to deeper water (kingy territory) and we sent the yakkas down and kept fishing for spapper.

After about an hour, James' kingy combo buckles and the rod starts screaming. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The guy was that excited that he starts high fiveing me before he's even pulled the fish in.

I said "relax, just back the drag off and take it easy". Thankfully he listened to me and after a lengthy fight, he lands his first kingfish. Straight onto the ruler and smack bang on 65cm. He was over the moon.

post-9004-1239667933_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately there were no more kingy hits but we still still managed to land a good mixed bag of snapper & trevally.

post-9004-1239667924_thumb.jpg

Overall i was happy with the fishing over the weekend. Good to see some legal snapper in the bay.

Regards,

Dave

Nice little mix bag you have there mate, top stuff i too have failed to catch yakkas on the last few outings any insie info is appreciated :)

Hey Dave,

Where abouts did you get the yakkas? Any help is appreciated.

The last few attempts had me luckless with the yakkas but instead heaps of undersized trevs.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff,

Refer to the following link:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recrea...al-reefs/botany

GPS coordinates are available if you click on the icons. If you dont have a GPS on the boat then you can try and get yellowtail at any wharf or jetti or any reef or structure that you may be aware of. Use your sounder/ fishfinder whilst tracking over reefs etc... and in most circumstances school of yellowtail should come up on the sounder.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

Jeff,

Refer to the following link:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recrea...al-reefs/botany

GPS coordinates are available if you click on the icons. If you dont have a GPS on the boat then you can try and get yellowtail at any wharf or jetti or any reef or structure that you may be aware of. Use your sounder/ fishfinder whilst tracking over reefs etc... and in most circumstances school of yellowtail should come up on the sounder.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

I forgot to mention that the important thing to do is remain patient. Burley up with heaps of bread and it helps to throw some pilchards into the burley mix aswell.

Regards,

Dave