Terrigal Offshore

Little Hooker

hey raiders,

Headed up to the central coast for the easter long weekend as somes freinds had hired a house at forresters beach so i thought it was a good chance to break my virginity and head off shore and gave jiggin a crack.

I never ventured far offshore nor have i jigged for kings in my life, so pretty clueless i headed to my local fishing shop to buy some jigs and hopefully get some local knowlegde about the waters. The guys there were awsome, teachin us about jiggin and telling us about some grounds to get some action.

Early sunday morning got to the terrigal ramp at 5am and in search for some bait for back up and boy it was a breeze. With in 1hr had a tank full or yakkas and 5 squid. :biggrin2: with enough bait we were on our way to our spot. Our destination was 15miles off shore and on the way we had some company, a pod of dolphins were crusin right next to the boat surfin in the wake. What a beautiful start to the day ahead. .

1.5hrs later we arrived at the grounds :( soon as we saw some activity on the sonar we dropped down a yakka and squid and the 3 of us started to jig our life away. With the first drop my mate lands a wahoo( cant be sure but im jus goin on the pic i have on the boat) with the 2nd drop the same mate is on...With the reelin screamin away and the blood rushing through my head i manage to get the camera out to film my mate gettin drilled on our first king of the day. Filmin didnt last for long as the rig with the yakka gets hit but i got busted off a short time later :( In the mean time my mate is still workin on the king after a good 10min fight we land the decent king. 80cm it measured up from the nose to the fork, didnt get to weight it as my scales wasnt workin but geeezz the kings up there was very solid and chunky. Went quite after that so decieded to move on. post-6068-1239775328_thumb.jpg

Saw some fish traps out there so chucked out some slugs and saw some dolphin fish chase it to the boat. They didnt take the slugs but they slamed the yakkas and squid and got one on the jig. Landed my first dolphin fish which the biggest went for 55cm abit on the small size but they sure put on a good show. We didnt stay for long as our goal was to hunt for them kings. post-6068-1239775353_thumb.jpg

By the afternoon it went abit quite on the front, movin around the place tryin waters ranging from 75m to 130m. After a hr of jiggin for nothing but i did land this monster of a leather jacket which weight in for 1.6kg :1yikes: . After jiggin in 130mtrs of water with a sore arm we decided to go back in for more swallower waters. With a more workable depth of 75mtrs will saw our selfs with a school of wahoos, they didnt put on much of a fight probably due to there size but they sure ripped apart my jigs and line. It wasnt worth it to stay as i lost the best jig of the day (silver 250g) we slowly worked our way back into shore tryin a few more spots but not so much luck. post-6068-1239775230_thumb.jpg

Got back to the ramp around 3ish but gezzz had a bloody awsome day for my first time offshore.

Gave it another shot the next day but it wasnt as great as sunday ,im thinkin the low pressure system moved in and the fish went off the bite. Only landed a small leather jacket. I did lose a few rigs due tp those nasty leather jackets were eattin the braid!!!! :thumbdown: Good thing the fish wasnt biting as the weather turned abit grey the swell started to pick up.

Got back to sydney that afternoon with a pack full or experience and fun.

Cheers. LH

Edited by swordfisherman