Boat Cover

Slaka

I am thinking if moving my 4.55m Polycraft frontrunner into my backyard so that I can keep some other toys garaged. Can anyone recommend a good boat cover, be it off the shelf or custom? Also is there anything else I should consider or will need to prevent damage from the weather?

Hi Slaka,

You could do as I have done. My boat also sits outside ( too many other toys in the garage ) and I didn't want to spend a fortune on a custom boat cover. I tried all the cheap plastic tarps which only last months, due to sun damage, and then went a had a custom sized canvas tarp made. Best thing I every did. It's been on over two years now with no signs of failing. My boat is a 4.8 Freedom Sport. What I do is run a 40mm joined length of plastic conduit from the bowsprit to the tow poll. I then throw the tarp over it and tie down the sides. Because it's open at he stern, it get's good air flow under it and does not condensate.

The canvas tarp cost me about $300 but should last quite a while, especially it you use tent proofing on it occasionally.

Regards,

Barry.

I've had a Stearns Superior on my Rumrunner for 3 years and it works well-no water gets through and it is trailerable.It's still in great condition despite being outside continually.About $400 from BIAS,I was quoted $1000 for a custom by the place that did my bimini.

Cheers,

Dave.

If you dont plan on towing then go the stearns from Bias option, around the $400 dollar mark as previously stated, but will do the exact same job as a custom cover if the boat is just sitting in the back yard. They suit some boats for towing but not all, I purchased one in QLD and drove home to NSW and it had small rips in 2-3 places places.

A custom cover is the better option if you are going to tow with it but a lot more pricey. I had one made and it was $1400, but is a sensational cover, which was cut to include covering the electric motor on front, have towed in ridiculous weather and the interior of the boat has stayed nice and dry, the cover extends down the side of the hull, so no stone chips as well.