Central Tablelands Trout

dean

With the weather cooling I thought it was time to head for the hills and see if I could catch a few trout. It's been 4 months since my last trip up there, and I was hoping the hot summer hadn't affected the fishing too much.

The river was flowing nicely when we arrived and it wasn't long before the first fish was caught and released.

post-6684-1240220018_thumb.jpg

The river's in good condition.

post-6684-1240219920_thumb.jpg post-6684-1240220030_thumb.jpg

A few more for the day.

post-6684-1240219941_thumb.jpg

post-6684-1240220053_thumb.jpg

I've heard reports of increasing numbers of redfin in the river. We caught three for the morning.

post-6684-1240219903_thumb.jpg

post-6684-1240220004_thumb.jpg

We ended up with 14 trout, all browns and three redfin for the day. It's a good time of the year to fish the rivers around Oberon, hopefully i'll be up there again soon.

Edited by DWAG 90

Great report mate, supported by some fantastic photos. What a great stretch of water :1yikes:

Were all your fish taken from the bank? Were they caught on HBs? Pesky reddies are everywhere! :( (Mind you; nice on the barbie plate). Keep the reports coming Dean

Cheers

Hodgey

I am a bit confused....

I have been reading about fisho's catching trout in and around my area, and the talk of catches of 5,10,15 and so on..

After I have been reading my fisheries book the bag limit is 5 from a dam per day per person , with a combined catch of 10

also in streams, is only 1

Am I understanding this correctly? :wacko:

Edited by yarraone

I am a bit confused....

I have been reading about fisho's catching trout in and around my area, and the talk of catches of 5,10,15 and so on..

After I have been reading my fisheries book the bag limit is 5 from a dam per day per person , with a combined catch of 10

Not quite mate:

Five per day from streams,Oberon,Wang ,Lyell and Chifley are ten,Thompson ck are two per day.The

possession limit is a bit tricky being twice the daily limit however if your at Thomos your only allowed four even if you claim they were caught elswhere,same thing with stream don't try taking more than ten and claim they were caught elswhere.

The best bet at this time of year is Lyell try some powerbait or tassie devil and you should get amoung them.

Edited by zook2001

I am a bit confused....

These are 'possession' limits mate. Pretty sure Dean releases most of his fish ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks for all the comments raiders.

Hodgey all fish were caught from the bank and on hardbodies. Chris Rigge zipbaits and luckycraft pointers are my favorites, either in brown trout or gold colours, Jackson trout tunes also work well in gold. As far as the reds go they are certainly increasing in numbers. 15 years ago I never encountered them, last year maybe one every 2-3 trips, now three in one trip. I've heard reports of people catching more reds than trout in some parts of the river. Hopefully it won't effect the fishing too much. I guess on the upside (if there is one) they are aggressive lure takers and I've read they don't mind a surface lure either. I might even take a few for the table next time.

Gid it's definitely worth a try with the fly rod, we spotted quite a few rising trout throughout the day especially after lunch when it warmed up a bit.

Jamie, sorry to hear about the loomis rod, what happened? The rainbows would put up a good fight, what are the rivers like up there? It sounds like it would be a good area to spend a few days.

Yarraone, I release all my river fish

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by DWAG 90

Thanks for all the comments raiders.

Hodgey all fish were caught from the bank and on hardbodies. Chris Rigge zipbaits and luckycraft pointers are my favorites, either in brown trout or gold colours, Jackson trout tunes also work well in gold. As far as the reds go they are certainly increasing in numbers. 15 years ago I never encountered them, last year maybe one every 2-3 trips, now three in one trip. I've heard reports of people catching more reds than trout in some parts of the river. Hopefully it won't effect the fishing too much. I guess on the upside (if there is one) they are aggressive lure takers and I've read they don't mind a surface lure either. I might even take a few for the table next time.

Gid it's definitely worth a try with the fly rod, we spotted quite a few rising trout throughout the day especially after lunch when it warmed up a bit.

Jamie, sorry to hear about the loomis rod, what happened? The rainbows would put up a good fight, what are the rivers like up there? It sounds like it would be a good area to spend a few days.

Yarraone, I release all my river fish

Cheers,

Dean

don't know what happened to the Loomis didn't even get 1 cast in.

anyway I have just ordered the replacement and should get it today.

I can vouch for the trout tunes that all I ever use when spinning for trout and they work great.

the streams up there where fantastic so clear and running very well.

the mud tracks were a different story.

I getting keen for trip up the mountains in the next couple of weeks.

post-3444-1240353471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yes Dear

Guys maybe some of you know, is it posible to put a tent somwhere around Tarana next to the Fish river?Because I'm thinking about overnight trip over there, and havent fish this water before.I tried to look some camping area at the maps but I couldnt found anything.Can somebody advise something?

Cheers,

Gid