Southland Nz

erroll

G'day Raiders,

Thought I would share a sample from my recent trip to NZ to get amongst the big browns in the south of South Island. These bad boys went over 7lbs. Had a ball over a week of fishing with three mates from work. Couldn't recommend it enough...

Enjoy

erroll

post-7148-1240482950_thumb.jpg

post-7148-1240483263_thumb.jpg

thanks guys.. those shots were in the Oreti which is a fast flowing all male brown river. Not a real lot of rock snot there but did see some. They say the high water flow keeps it at bay in the fast rivers. That river has all the big boys, the smallest we caught that day was 5lb and saw some over 8!!! Fished one river that was badly didymo effected but still got a bruising 5.5 and a couple smaller. All our gear was quarantined at aussie customs and returned to us free of charge 2 weeks water just to be sure

the fishing there is all sight dry fly fishing and C&R is practiced by the guides we go with. Cicadas, duns and royal wolffs were all good. 6 wt fast action rod is the go.

I have booked again for next year already, its a blast!

Edited by erroll

thanks guys.. those shots were in the Oreti which is a fast flowing all male brown river. Not a real lot of rock snot there but did see some. They say the high water flow keeps it at bay in the fast rivers. That river has all the big boys, the smallest we caught that day was 5lb and saw some over 8!!! Fished one river that was badly didymo effected but still got a bruising 5.5 and a couple smaller. All our gear was quarantined at aussie customs and returned to us free of charge 2 weeks water just to be sure

the fishing there is all sight dry fly fishing and C&R is practiced by the guides we go with. Cicadas, duns and royal wolffs were all good. 6 wt fast action rod is the go.

I have booked again for next year already, its a blast!

Hi Erroll,

what type of budget should someone have in mind to do this type of trip.

the mrs may be going to the north island for work and I was thinking of sneaking over with her.

any tips?

cheers Jamie.

Edited by Yes Dear

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Jamie, have not been monitoring this post for a while, budget excluding gear and travel (food and accom and savvy guide per pair of customers) was $3500. Very good value. I have been for the last two years and have booked for next year too.

cheers

Edited by erroll