George’s River Jewfish Landbased…

King mania

Hello Raiders,

After work a few of the boys called to say they were going out to Georges landbased to try their new bream gear out so i thought why not lets go, we bought live nippers and fresh prawns for bait, fishing right on low tide we caught 5 under sized bream around 20cm one went 25cm and i think a silver trevally still not sure?? took a quick pic and in it went , after 2hrs we thought we had enough of this weather loll, it was starting to get cold and the wind was picking up and to make things worse I had left my jacket home. I just too excited about going fishing LOL funny thing is on the way there I kept thinking if I left any tackle I needed at home when I got there and noticed the weather had changed I went to grab my jacket and thought oh crap left it behind, anyways I was over it after 2hrs the boys kept telling me last cast and were going, so I thought alright I might as well have one last cast as well put on a nipper casted and not even 5mins I get a hit mind you I’m on light gear 2.7kg line I bring it in and the boys say i've just caught a whiting! I have a closer look and notice it’s not a whiting it’s actually a jewie! the smallest jewfish I’ve ever seen and my first might I add mates were laughing as I always tell them about catching my first jewie and how I can’t wait well what a surprise! :) got the hook out took a few pics and back it went, not bad for my first jewie! I hope the next one is alittle bigger LOL

Cheers

King mania.

post-3347-1241069227_thumb.jpg

post-3347-1241069246_thumb.jpg

post-3347-1241069257_thumb.jpg

Hello Raiders,

After work a few of the boys called to say they were going out to Georges landbased to try their new bream gear out

.......after 2hrs the boys kept telling me last cast and were going, so I thought alright I might as well have one last cast as well put on a nipper casted and not even 5mins I get a hit mind you I’m on light gear 2.7kg line

......notice it’s not a whiting it’s actually a jewie! the smallest jewfish I’ve ever seen and my first might I add......... got the hook out took a few pics and back it went, not bad for my first jewie! I hope the next one is alittle bigger LOL

post-3347-1241069246_thumb.jpg

Cheers

King mania.

Interesting little session King Mania....... That pretty little Georges jewfish would have born in the mangoves up there and the product of a spawn drift, born out in the wild and he'd be far too small to be part of the fingerlings that were released in the Georges a couple of years back as part of a re-stocking program...... He'd be a great survivor that little bloke, coming out where he was born in the mangroves from time to time, especiallywith all the flathead around etc decimating all species of fry..... .... He wouldn't be by himself and I'll bet there's a lot more up there being protected by a larger school of bigger jew and a big Mulloway nanny or two covering him and his mates down deep because it would be near impossible for jewfish schools of babies of that size to fend for themselves anywhere, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting that up mate, a very impressive baby jewfish!!....Hope your second jewfish is a real rod bender...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

thats a cool little jew i always wondered what the go was with them surely they dont go from eggs to monsters. dont worry though that little fish will remeber you and come back for you when its a 20kg monster with any luck. and the other one is definatly a silver trevally they are fun to catch but im not a fan of them being cooked up they dont taste the best. good post mate.

cheers

Heya

Thanks everyone!

I'm happy that I've finally got my first jewie, i showed my mates what they grow to they didn't believe me LOL

we had something to talk about when heading back home and we still bring it up. lol only if it was just a little bigger LOL

yea should look good for pic of the month

cheers!

King Mania

Interesting little session King Mania....... That pretty little Georges jewfish would have born in the mangoves up there and the product of a spawn drift, born out in the wild and he'd be far too small to be part of the fingerlings that were released in the Georges a couple of years back as part of a re-stocking program...... He'd be a great survivor that little bloke, coming out where he was born in the mangroves from time to time, especiallywith all the flathead around etc decimating all species of fry..... .... He wouldn't be by himself and I'll bet there's a lot more up there being protected by a larger school of bigger jew and a big Mulloway nanny or two covering him and his mates down deep because it would be near impossible for jewfish schools of babies of that size to fend for themselves anywhere, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting that up mate, a very impressive baby jewfish!!....Hope your second jewfish is a real rod bender...

Cheers

yep there are mangroves on the left from where I was fishing it’s been a pleasure reading your posts and everyone who’s posted about these great mulloway on here, thanks guys! It’s funny when u leave your big gear at home and u land something you’re not ready for LOL but that’s fishing. Yea I did think that if this is down there I'm pretty sure a few big ones would be lurking around underneath but there is always next time, also some good reports at the hacking and Parra River might give the jewie gear a run for its money

Cheers

King Mania

I will call him....MiniJew. :biggrin2:

What a coincidence Dave that's funny mate, I can't believe you named it MiniJew.... Seriously mate, in my previous reply, I was actually going to say.. "he'd be a great survivor that little mouse......."

By the way King Mania....the jew watching over the little ones would sense out and crush a big flathead hiding in the sand and thro what they spat out to the crabs.... The big mulloway have mouths like the entrance to Luna Park and the little ones hang off them like remoras, so definately up the gear and the bait size in that area next time you fish down there

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer