Squidding...

zephi

Today was my first time squidding in the Hacking, went to Wally's Wharf and Yowie Bay wharf.

Didn't catch any unfortunately... Had a big squid, roughly 30cm in length chase one of our hooked up snappers... it followed all the way to the wharf... we didnt have our landing net, so I dropped my squid jig down, it turned and grabbed it... BUT didn't hook!

2nd squid, I dropped my jig in shallow water, and slowly walked it along the edge of the wharf, then a small squid comes out of the blue and attacks it from the side... Also fails to hook...

Both of these squids attacked the jig from the side but not the tail... Is there any way to hook these squids? What should I do when this happens? continue to slowly retrieve it in? set the hook ? (somehow)

Any tips?

Well apart from squidding, caught a few leather jackets (first time catching them because Georges River doesn't have many anymore), lots of baby snappers (back they went), tiny silver trevally...

Wally's Wharf is really popular.... just as we were leaving we counted about 15 people there...

Great day out though, apart from the sudden shower. Any tips for how to hook up to the squid?

Also I think one of the squid bit my jig, and ripped the fabric on it, does this happen?

cheers

Edited by zephi

Squid attack there prey from the side therefore always grabing your squid jigs side once you see that they have grabbed good hold you lift your rod up slowly not like setting a hook in a fish really fast.

This should face your squid jig toward yourself and the squid at the end of the squid jig hooked on if this doesn't woork thats your just unlucky or try the double layer spikes

Squid attack there prey from the side therefore always grabing your squid jigs side once you see that they have grabbed good hold you lift your rod up slowly not like setting a hook in a fish really fast.

This should face your squid jig toward yourself and the squid at the end of the squid jig hooked on if this doesn't woork thats your just unlucky or try the double layer spikes

I've got double layered spikes. Maybe just really unlucky, the big squid completely wrapped around the jig, and even bit the fabric just behind the eye of the jig.

So when I lifted it, it should have slid down to the hooks. It was basically right at my feet too.

Did you lift your rod slowly But usually although unable to hook the squid the first time they will grab it another time they arn't that shy

I actually lifted it slowly and it just dropped it.

This squid was an aggressive one, followed the hooked up fish like 20 metres away, all the way in front of our feet. Easily changed its prey and attacked the jig next.

Maybe the barbs scratched it and it backed off?

I actually lifted it slowly and it just dropped it.

This squid was an aggressive one, followed the hooked up fish like 20 metres away, all the way in front of our feet. Easily changed its prey and attacked the jig next.

Maybe the barbs scratched it and it backed off?

i dont think They are not afraid of the barbs i HAV had hook ups where i hav the net ready to land it but it falls off as i net it they just come back and attack the jig again.

Im wondering if they have nerves??? Pain recepticals LOL

i dont think They are not afraid of the barbs i HAV had hook ups where i hav the net ready to land it but it falls off as i net it they just come back and attack the jig again.

Im wondering if they have nerves??? Pain recepticals LOL

wow that's pretty surprising... I thought they were much more smarter than that.

Nerves and pain receptors, definitely...

Just wanna ask other squidders.... whether they actually come back for the jig after getting hooked.

Today was my first time squidding in the Hacking, went to Wally's Wharf and Yowie Bay wharf.

Didn't catch any unfortunately... Had a big squid, roughly 30cm in length chase one of our hooked up snappers... it followed all the way to the wharf... we didnt have our landing net, so I dropped my squid jig down, it turned and grabbed it... BUT didn't hook!

2nd squid, I dropped my jig in shallow water, and slowly walked it along the edge of the wharf, then a small squid comes out of the blue and attacks it from the side... Also fails to hook...

Both of these squids attacked the jig from the side but not the tail... Is there any way to hook these squids? What should I do when this happens? continue to slowly retrieve it in? set the hook ? (somehow)

Any tips?

Well apart from squidding, caught a few leather jackets (first time catching them because Georges River doesn't have many anymore), lots of baby snappers (back they went), tiny silver trevally...

Wally's Wharf is really popular.... just as we were leaving we counted about 15 people there...

Great day out though, apart from the sudden shower. Any tips for how to hook up to the squid?

Also I think one of the squid bit my jig, and ripped the fabric on it, does this happen?

cheers

Bad luck on the squid mate.

normally its like Adawg says and they go for the jig atleast 2 or 3 times but occasionally u will get these really timid buggers that spook as soon as u move the jig. If they are the timid type and are grabbing the jig from the side I try to strike them as u would a fish but aim the strike so that the spikes of the jig hit the squid. it is hit and miss but once u get the hang of it its pretty easy

If they are following whole fish try using a pilchard spike.

and yes the squid and especially cuttlefish will tear ur jig up eventually.

Cheers,

Simmo

cheers

I have experienced this problem before and as a few people have commented the squid will usually grab the jig from the side and thus avoid the tines. My usual trick is to wait till I feel the load of a squid (or if I can see it grab the jig) and then give the jig a fast but short jerk. When squid are a little nervous they will release the jig surprisingly quickly. The short sharp jerk does not give them time to release it before the tines set and yet it will not rip it out of their tentacles. I have a very good success rate with this technique. This system has the added advantage in that the shock usually gets them to ink which means there is less to worry about when they get within shooting distance.

They do hammer the cloth of the jigs a bit. If you are lucky enough to hold on to your favourite jig for a few seasons you will be surprised at how cut up the cloth looks at the end of that time.

I have had a fairly high success rate of hooking a squid once it attacks my jig, just a short fairly fast lift of the rod and i've got it. Some of the bigger ones i have dropped, but most of the time i leave the squid jig in the water (or drop it back down) and the squid come back for it. I've had squid come back 3 or 4 times at the same jig, so next time you drop one, try keeping it in the water or let it sink a little more, jig it a few times and hopefully they'll come back and u'll have another shot.

Hey Zephi

One word of advice

Wait for the "Weight" !!!

Don't be to eger to strike particularly if you can see them.

If you can see them try closing your eyes and trust the force Luke!

Oh also some of the jigs come with side barbs as well. Dont't use them myself but may be of help for you in this particular spot.

See A Dawg's reply post, reckon he's on the money.

Trapper Tom

to set the hook, just raise the rod depending on which side the squid is attacking from?

let's say when im retrieving it, and it attacks the right side (from my point of view), it strike it towards the right?

to set the hook, just raise the rod depending on which side the squid is attacking from?

let's say when im retrieving it, and it attacks the right side (from my point of view), it strike it towards the right?

Just pull squid if this cas u want to pull perpendicular to the squid so the the barbs have a go at all the tentacles the squid has but usually current and sinking alters this

eg You cast reel in and let it sink to the bottom by the current the squid jig will not be facing you all the time so whatever the direction the squid attacks try tug perpendicular. But in most cases where your cast and cannot see the Squid or squid jigs then just lift up your rod facing where the jig is :thumbup:

I dont lose many squid with a squid jig usually occurs with pilchard on a spike if it does occur

But sometimes am badluck :thumbdown: Its just one off those days

Good luck squiding zephi

Went squidding today, caught 2 cuttlefish, they were fun to chase, they sure are aggressive and not shy.

One kept coming back on for over 5 times. And I practiced on it... Eventually caught it...

Found a second one a few metres away, and got it straight away!!

I was so excited, it's so easy now.

Then I got my jig snagged on the bottom somewhere while bucketing the cuttlefish.... and coudnt get it back.

Just as I was getting the hang of it :1badmood:

Some cuttle fish dont have the two long 'attack' tentacles that squid have. This makes them much harder to catch even though they are very aggressive creatures. My guess this was your case as both will come in from the side to attack and just keeping the same speed of retrieve will usually be enough to jag the squid. This is not the case for cuttlies though.... need a lot more patience and have to strike a bit harder I find.

Cheers,

Ken

Squid (espceially southern calamari) attack the jig sideways if they think it is a fish

as they are trying to kill the brain of the fish as quckly as possible

If the squid gets spiked by the fishes dorsal spines it can be fatal to the squid

so just like kings try and turn yakkas to swallow them so the dont get stuck in their throats

, the squid is trying to attack in a way it is least likely to get injured.

When squid eat prawns or whitebait , they will grab them anyway they can, and are more aggresive

as both dont have harmful spikes or spines

I have a great old VHS video underwater video showing 6 squid attacking a jig, it was a large

jig and they all attacked it sideways

When a squid kills a livey it is always at the back of the head first, then starts eating the rest of the fish

Jason

Squid (espceially southern calamari) attack the jig sideways if they think it is a fish

as they are trying to kill the brain of the fish as quckly as possible

If the squid gets spiked by the fishes dorsal spines it can be fatal to the squid

so just like kings try and turn yakkas to swallow them so the dont get stuck in their throats

, the squid is trying to attack in a way it is least likely to get injured.

When squid eat prawns or whitebait , they will grab them anyway they can, and are more aggresive

as both dont have harmful spikes or spines

I have a great old VHS video underwater video showing 6 squid attacking a jig, it was a large

jig and they all attacked it sideways

When a squid kills a livey it is always at the back of the head first, then starts eating the rest of the fish

Jason

Yeah, I also noticed this.

I've only seen 4 squid and cuttlefish attacks, and they all came from the sides. On the cuttlefish, they both got hooked on one of the larger tentacles, rather than those little ones, or the shooting tentacles.

Yeah, I also noticed this.

I've only seen 4 squid and cuttlefish attacks, and they all came from the sides. On the cuttlefish, they both got hooked on one of the larger tentacles, rather than those little ones, or the shooting tentacles.

Once you start to get a lot more squid you will find a fair few of them hooked on top off the head. This had me puzzled for a while until I worked out it was probably a result of the way they grab the squid jig.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Once you start to get a lot more squid you will find a fair few of them hooked on top off the head. This had me puzzled for a while until I worked out it was probably a result of the way they grab the squid jig.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

You mean it hooks them on the hood? Or the eyes section?

After I get a new jig, I'll be giving it another shot this Saturday... I had bought my jig for $8, Yoshikawa brand but lost it.

Are there any good jigs out there? which are cheap and effective? something under $8? If not I'll just get another Yoshikawa.