2500 Size Reel Reccomendations

Richard1

Hi there,

I am in the market for a new reel and i ask for your opinions on what is good and waht i should be looking for.

what i want is a Daiwa Sol 2500, but i am having a hard time justifying $260-$350 on a reel.(seeing as i still haven't caught anything legal to keep yet)

it will be going on my "Bream rod" which is a Shimano "matchline" 6'6" spin rod.

are there any reel that come close to the Daiwa but for a bit less money? As a rough guide i want to only spend about $150 max on this reel.

I like the 2500 size as i hear thats good for Bream, and i will be putting 6 or 8 lb fireline on it.

But i am open (of course) to your opinions on what would be a good setup for catching bream or maybe even blackfish if i get a reel with another spool so i can put different line on it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance,

Richard

G'day Richard, If you want to go a bit cheaper then you should look at the Daiwa Tierra or the Shimano Symetere, both great little reels with a smaller price tag.

Also dont forget you need some good braid as well and that can cost a few bucks as well as flurocarbon leader..

Cheers..

the tierra's arnt much cheaper than the sol"s man but they are a graet reel. if you got a budget of $150 the best thing to do would be to contact go fish and see what they can do for you they will have something to fit your budget for sure

mick

Edited by breamhntr

the tierra's arnt much cheaper than the sol"s man but they are a graet reel if you got a budget of $150

the sols are a really good option been only around 50 dollars dearer than the tierras but even for a tierra you are looking at aroun $230 - $260 mark not including line and we all know how expensive braid can be:P.

cheers river_fisho

i just bought a Daiwa Tierra 2500 just then :)

Good onya Richard, look forward to seeing a fishing report featuring a nice fish and the new reel..:thumbup:

Cheers..

as soon as i catch my first legal size keeper i will be posting it up, dont you worry.

i have spend about 700 dollars on gear and go fishing most days, i still havent caught anything legal to keep except poddie mullets. :(

Poddie mullets are a great start. Throw one out as a livie, you never know what you're going to get :biggrin2:

as soon as i catch my first legal size keeper i will be posting it up, dont you worry.

i have spend about 700 dollars on gear and go fishing most days, i still havent caught anything legal to keep except poddie mullets. :(

i wanted the Sol too, but unfortunatley i was not willing to stretch my budget that far. i was able to pick up the tierra for 248 dollars. i love it :)

yeh thats the same as me would love to spend the extra cash but just dont have it. tierra is doin the job though still a great reel for the price. :1prop: