Buying A Boat

ritchie

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a boat..a small runabout that is! :thumbup:

now that i have reserved spare $$$$ for the "investment", im moving on to more practical things which need to be considered when choosing the boat..

I am after a fibreglass runabout around 4-4.2M mark, with a decent motor..would anyone know how much a boat in that range weighes?.. 'cos my car can only pull 550Kg's unbreaked (well, according to the users manual!) ..

Ive tried calling afew boat dealerships but they were unable to answer my above question!

...any advice, suggestion is appreciated.. :)

Hi All,

now that i have reserved spare $$$$ for the "investment", im moving on to more practical things which need to be considered when choosing the boat..

I am after a fibreglass runabout around 4-4.2M mark, with a decent motor..would anyone know how much a boat in that range weighes?.. 'cos my car can only pull 550Kg's unbreaked (well, according to the users manual!) ..

Ive tried calling afew boat dealerships but they were unable to answer my above question!

I'd say it would be close to a tonne

My 5.8M fibreglass runabout = roughly 1600kgs (i think)

Falcon station wagon pulls it without any trouble

Hi All,

Hi, not many 4M fibreglass boats around. most are larger unless it is a very old one you are looking at. That said a 4M glass boat with trailer and something like a 50HP on the back will weigh more than 550Kg so you either need to think about a different car or you will find you car has a different rating if a trailer has brakes-something like 1200KG I would be guessing. If so, you will need to allow some moeny in your budget to fit a braked trailer under a boat you might find.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Daleboy and Huey..

My car can tow 1 tonne if the trailer is breaked..how much would it cost to convert an unbreaked trailer to a breaked one (or is it even possible?)..its just a 2L, 113Kw CJ Lancer.. :( ..

DAleboy, how powerful is your falcon SW?..

On an old trailer with the corrosion that can be evident and if you were paying someone it will not be worth it. Doing it yourself if it goes according to plan about $500-$600. A new trailer with brakes for upto a 4.5M boat is about $2,300.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Daleboy and Huey..

My car can tow 1 tonne if the trailer is breaked..how much would it cost to convert an unbreaked trailer to a breaked one (or is it even possible?)..its just a 2L, 113Kw CJ Lancer.. :( ..

DAleboy, how powerful is your falcon SW?..

You dont look at the kilowatt rating but you look at the torque that the engine and drivetrain can exert.

Its like diesel motor vehicle that would have 100 kw but has a torque of 450 - 600nm.

I hope ive enlighten u a bit.

She's just a bog standard 6cyl .. 2000 au model

6cyl makes a huge different over a 4cyl eh?... ummm..but that being said ive seen tiny hyundai pulling decent boats.. :/

On an old trailer with the corrosion that can be evident and if you were paying someone it will not be worth it. Doing it yourself if it goes according to plan about $500-$600. A new trailer with brakes for upto a 4.5M boat is about $2,300.

Cheers,

Huey.

whoa! $2300 ! my budget it self for a runabout is less than 2k! haha..cos its gonna be my 1st! .... ummm.. unless i go for a smaller one?

You dont look at the kilowatt rating but you look at the torque that the engine and drivetrain can exert.

Its like diesel motor vehicle that would have 100 kw but has a torque of 450 - 600nm.

I hope ive enlighten u a bit.

u have indeed enlightned me! u also make me consider selling my car and get a 4wd now! lol

my car's torque is only 198nm @ 4250rpm.. would that be enough to tow a runabout?

wow i can see a new car & boat comeing to Ritchies house very soon; :thumbup::wife: lol

hahaha... a boat, mayyyy beee!!.. but a car...dont think so! lol ... went thru enough grief for spending $$$$$ on a brand new car...LOL

Ritchie,

One of the best 4m rigs around was the haines hunter sea wasp. A glass boat with a great ride and I would say fairly close to your max tow weight.

I noticed a couple for sale recently but you might require a little budget s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g.

Cheers

Marlin

Ritchie,

I wouldnt really tow above 500kgs. 700kgs would be the max but youll have clutch(m/t) or band(a/t) problems quicker than you expect. Worst come to worst being a front wheel drive, normally the diff breaks down into pieces and thats when the big money comes in.

Get a tinny. Way lighter, cheaper in petrol, you wont worry about rot, low maintainance. If it gets to choppy anyway, you wouldnt want to be out there as it wont be to comfortable.

Ive got a 17ft halfcabin glass boat (still on the side of my house) took it out 3 times in 4 yrs. Got a 4.3 tinny last year. Took it out every three weeks since September. The more the boat is cheaper to run the more you go fishin.

Reg,

JON

Edited by WANNAFISH