Early Morning At Cg

SimJ

Had a shortish session today at CG, the amount of rubbish when I arrived at 6am was absolutely unbelievable. Seriously I have never ever seen any spot as trashed as today. Obviously some one had caught a jewie the night before and left all the scales and guts everywhere as well as a few bags of prawns emptied, some undersize bream just lying there and much much more cr@p, they hadnt even bothered to urinate in the water instead they had just pi$$ed on the wharf and it stank. :ranting2: cant believe some people, that was beyond a joke.

On the fish scene, I saw one kingy the whole time i was there :thumbdown:. It was still a really nice day and I saw a whole heap of interesting fish all day. There were some massive leatherjackets crusing around all day, they were actually trying to eat peoples floats??? A mate i was fishing with ended up hooking the smallest of the group, it was still pretty big though. mini yakkas were the only kind of bait we could get all day, and nothing was interested in them. My mate ended up getting an ok trev on some pillie but that was it for the day.

Im still amazed by the size of the 5 or so jackets that were around, there were some that were easily double the size of the one we got. :1yikes:

post-9568-1242198284_thumb.jpg

post-9568-1242199219_thumb.jpg

trev was 46cm didnt measure jacket but it was a little bigger. btw what type is it?

Cheers,

Simmo

I know how you feel. :mad3: I have been there at night and it was a traffic jam just to fish. Needless to say I just dont go there. There are too many other places to fish. You cant control others but we can do the right thing ourselves and thats the best we can do.

On a positive note, leather jacket are good to eat.

People really do need to be educated on taking out what they take in.

They will be the first ones complaining when we are all locked out of areas because of their grubiness. :1badmood:

That is one strange looking jacket. Are you sure it's a jacket? Never seen one like it.

Looks more like a box or cowfish to me.

Cheers,

Grant.

People really do need to be educated on taking out what they take in.

They will be the first ones complaining when we are all locked out of areas because of their grubiness. :1badmood:

That is one strange looking jacket. Are you sure it's a jacket? Never seen one like it.

Looks more like a box or cowfish to me.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Grant thats my point exactly I can totally understand why the ferry companies ban fishing from wharves even though it makes me annoyed.

I thought it looked weird, the mouth is a lot more rounded like a trigger fish maybe?

but everyone I was with just called it a leathery...

so any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Simmo

My idea is that I wouldn't be eating it!!! :puke:

Cheers,

Grant.

:Funny-Post::074:

I give the fish I catch to my olds I rarely eat them myself. So they can risk it if they want :biggrin2: .

any info on it would be good though...

I encounted these at the Wedding Cake a few weeks ago, on the radio people were telling me they are Silver Jackets? I have not checked up on that, even charter operators were calling them that there and on the 2KY show.

They were in plague proportions.

that looks like a leathery to me..ummmmm..and the trev looks nice..very nice cooked with ginger and coconut cream! ;)

...hangin there Simmo..just hangin there till Friday..we'll get that nasty Jew one way or another!!.. :biggrin2:

Thanks sniper, i just looked it up and it looks spot on :thumbup: . Have you caught/eaten any before?

Cheers,

Simmo

Good pick up sniper. :thumbup:

I fished the harbour for 30 yrs & I never saw one. :wacko:

I thought I'd caught every species of l/jacket that lived! :074:

It should be good eating as is any l/jacket.

Cheers,

Grant.

Good haul of leather jackets there mate, shame about the rubbish.

If you are a fish eater and ever tempted when catching leather jackets, take along a little camp stove, fry pan and some garlic. Dehead, skin and remove stomach contents, either do it whole or fillet and fry then and there with the garlic. Absolutely fab.

Nothing beats freshly caught, freshly cooked fish

This was the only way we could get #1Son to eat any type of fish for a long time. Now he only tastes any new fish we catch.

Cheers

Cath

Simmo

Some good size leather jackets there :1yikes: and some good eating for the olders.

Cheers

Bob

That is a whooper leather jacket.

If you don't mind, what or where is "CG"?

Regards,

Long

Longy

CG is for Clifton Gardens which is on the north side of Sydney Harbour.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Raiders

Went down to CG tonight with 2 mates from 7pm till 145am

only about 20 ppl there so not to bad

5th cast of the night saw a 34cm bream about 1 hour later my mate scored a 37cm bream

after that we got about 10- 15 small 1s about 10-20cm

around 12am we get hit again this time a 30cm bream

sorry no pic

Cameron

Nice fish Simmo, I have the same problem up my place with rubbish and old fishing line etc being left everywhere, a unicorn leatherjacket, now that is one I've never seen before..

Cheers..

Nice catch Simmo.

I agree with previous posts your jacket is a Unicorn jacket.

Here's a bit of info about the species.

Its a tropical species, and not often found in Southern waters.

It prefers deep offshore water, but has been found in coastal bays.

It is a close relation to the Scribbled jacket.

Regards

G

thanks for the replys everyone, really appreciate it.

Nice fish Simmo, I have the same problem up my place with rubbish and old fishing line etc being left everywhere, a unicorn leatherjacket, now that is one I've never seen before..

Cheers..

Ray Ive read ur posts before about the scum that leave trash everywhere. To be honest mate you would have been blowing steam out your ears if you saw this. I thought about taking pics of it but after a few attempts I realised I would need about 15 shots with the cam phone just to do it justice :wacko: .

Cheers,

Simmo

gents

two questions

1. bream at clifton - what bait are you using pls

2. some have mentioned better LB spots .... any clues. PM's accepted !!

thanks heaps

kiwineil

Check the "Fishing Chat " section ....in the last few pages of posts there is a topic on best Bream bait. heaps of options there.

Personally, you should take a variety of bait for Bream they eat anything including things we eat like chicken and steak.

If fishing landbased look for Ferry Wharfs or areas that have casting access to deep water. Fish the tide changes to maximise your results.

There's plenty of good bream fishing around the harbour.