Hitchenbrook Island

What a trip? 8 hours fishing each day for 4 days. Anticipation and expectation was high, after forking out $1800 for fishing guides and accomadtion.

Over the four days of fishing we caught about 30 quality fish. Everything from queenies, GTs, barramundi, baraacoota, mangrove jack, blue salmon and grunters. Steve Jesson our guide was outstanding, local knowledge, patiance and guidance with an amatuer made for good fishing.

I bagged a nice 71cm Barramundi on day three, which took a good 10 minutes to land. One of the best fights closely followed by a the blue salmon we caught up in one of the rivers. Fastest moving fish I have ever caught. I would compare it to australian salmon on steroids.

If anyone is thinking of looking to catch their first Barra I would highly recommend a trip to Hitchinbrook, guided by Steve Jesson barra tours. Accomodation at the Mud Brick Manor was great, breaky, lunch and dinner are included in the price above and food was top notch. And only a 2 minute taxi to the boat ramp. If you would like contact details just let me know.

Check out the picture below

Hey Yellow Sub,

Sounds like a great trip! I was up at Hinchenbrook for a day, two weeks ago, but we only managed cod, jacks, and cuda. Probably heading out again on the weekend. Were you luring or using livies? Did you fish mostly within the channel? Gimme some details on Jessons tactics....... hee hee.... Apparently the fishing has been really tough as of late. Even the guides have been struggling...... You did well!!!!! Nice barra...... :thumbup:

Matt. :biggrin2:

I had a day with Steve last May, it was brilliant. Cast flies to Permit - even had a BIG one come over for alook before veering off; caught a large flathead on the fly, then bothered barra for the rest of the day. Landed three and bew a few more away on jumps.

I also recommend him.

Dave

G'day Yellow, when you say Jesson do you mean Jeston as in Steve Jeston of Hyperspace Fishing Tours. http://www.anglingadventures.com.au/hinch.html

Sounds like an awesome trip and deffinately one I'd be up for some time down the track.

I've seen him plenty of times on the Fish 'N' 4wheels show and his knowledge and guidance seems to be up there with the best. :thumbup:

Thats right Hooky, Steve Jeston.I've done a few tours with fishing guides and by far he sets high standards.

Jungle junky

Mostly in the channels around the 10, 9 and 9.5 creeks. Always focussed aound the drains coming out from the mangroves at High to low tide. We followed the dark path in the middle of the drain to deeper water and there they were. We would anchor up on a drain and cast for 20 - 30 minutes always looking for a reasonable amount of bait around. Same technique was used around snags where they extended 3 to 4 feet into the channel and deep.

If you can muster the cash I would go out with Steve Jeston.

ALready planning next years trip.

Hope that helps

You blokes just wet my appetite....leaving Newcastle for Hinchinbrook this Saturday for a 3 week trip...Have fished it before and always look forward to it.

In the past we have had a ball fishing the front of the island north of Zoe Bay, just casting at luderick heads..... some of the GTs that come out for a look are awesome. last trip I sent a popper out on 4 kg fireline..the smaller 2-3 kg GTs were barged out of the way by a giant GT..(hands still tremble thinking about it)....needless to say the hookup and run was spectacularly brief! - the 4 kg out fit promptly spooled and put away for another day.

Also had a lot of fun fishing the drains around Deluge...some very nice fish Barra along there...at the time they had a liking for Chatreusse coloured Kokahoes (of all things).....I can't wait!