Squids

hookmeup

G'day all, reading all the squid stories has me drooling, firstly caught heaps of fish but never squids, am going to give it a try soon,a few quick questions & probably simple for the experts out there.

If anyone watched CSI( I think it was csi) last night, they were investigating a death & there were strange black marks & round sucker marks in the victims throat. Turned out that a radical gourmet seafood dinner was had where people actually eat various animals,(some live some cooked) worms, sauteed spiders & LIVE OCTIPUS, apparently the tentacles must be firmly wrapped together before swallowing otherwise disaster.I promise admin I am not suggesting anything like this,but it just got me thinking I should ask the correct cleaning methods.

1/ when you pull them in(squid & occis) do they bite ( i amagine you grab the top part of the hood & steer clear of the tentacle area for ink & the beak?

2/ how do you clean properly?

3/ do you just eat the hood (once scored, marinated etc,) & I guess cut the tentacles off to eat.

I imagine the middle section, head, eyes, guts is not edible?? only bait?

cheers

G'day all, reading all the squid stories has me drooling, firstly caught heaps of fish but never squids, am going to give it a try soon,a few quick questions & probably simple for the experts out there.

If anyone watched CSI( I think it was csi) last night, they were investigating a death & there were strange black marks & round sucker marks in the victims throat. Turned out that a radical gourmet seafood dinner was had where people actually eat various animals,(some live some cooked) worms, sauteed spiders & LIVE OCTIPUS, apparently the tentacles must be firmly wrapped together before swallowing otherwise disaster.I promise admin I am not suggesting anything like this,but it just got me thinking I should ask the correct cleaning methods.

1/ when you pull them in(squid & occis) do they bite ( i amagine you grab the top part of the hood & steer clear of the tentacle area for ink & the beak?

3/ do you just eat the hood (once scored, marinated etc,) & I guess cut the tentacles off to eat.

cheers

Hi mate, yeah i usually just grab them behind the head and point it away from you. As far as prep i just cut the head off and clean out the guts ( ifreeze them for bait) then peel the outer skin off, I hope that helps.

Hi mate, yeah i usually just grab them behind the head and point it away from you. As far as prep i just cut the head off and clean out the guts ( ifreeze them for bait) then peel the outer skin off, I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply oaps, when you say cut the head off I assume you keep the hood & tentacles for food & the head for bait ???

Occys and squid both bite if you're unlucky enough to allow their mouth anywhere near you. Both hurt - a lot.

This can be easily prevented with Squid by simply holding them by the mantle but I haven't found a similar method for occy's at all. They are always able to manouver their mouth round to bite you and I don't try to pick them up anymore for this reason.

BTW this isn't a fishing report - you should post fishing queries in the fishing chat section in future.

well if you are afraid of handling live squid and occies, cuz yes they do bite, and occies will tend to escape from you. I recommend you spike them. Using a sharp pointed knife or the brain spike tool.

Just stab them thru the brain, which is located a little above and in between the eyes.

You will know when you hit the spot because they rapidly go to a whitish colour.

Eyes, head and guts all removed. You may eat the tentacles if you like. But on some smaller squids its not worth it. Just cut the whole head off and store it. Also avoid using fresh water, as it damages the meat.

cheers

Mate the way I prepare squid is simple. If your using it for bait only then run a sharp knife down the very middle of the hood, try to cut the plasticky thing in half. open the hood up and then run the knife underneath the guts to remove them completely. Then cut the hood into strips for bait and the head and guts will be connected keep them that way and use whole for big bait or cut the head in half and use it for 2 baits. Remember this is for big squid only.

If ur only eating it then just cut the head off. Get the hood and remove the skin and side flaps. with one finger push the top of the hood in and turn it inside out. The guts are then easily removed and it can be cleaned.

Cheers,

Simmo